Monday, December 2, 2019

Thanksgiving In Canada - Day Two

Friday morning, I woke up uncomfortable. The bed I was sleeping on had two mattresses together to make one, but there was a crack down the middle. Before I knew this, I chose to sleep in the middle between my mom and Lydia. Also, the mattresses were firm, the pillows were flat, and the blankets were, I don't know, tight? The three of us had to share a blanket that was on the small side. So I was uncomfortable. The day before we had bought cereal, milk, bananas, juice, and a few other breakfast things. I ate a cereal bar because I don't like cereal with milk very much. After the morning was almost over, we drove to Richmond to go to a nature center. It was a pleasant walk. There was a wooden playground at the end which we played at for a little while before going to get dumplings for lunch. (Apparently, Richmond is the place to get dumplings.) We went to a place called Mama's Dumpling & Coffee. It was delicious! We got more dumplings than we usually get at Din Tai Fung or Dough Zone (Dumpling places in Seattle.) We each had eleven dumplings. Afterwards, we headed back to the apartment and played two rounds of Hanabi, a game where you build fireworks. Around 4, we walked two blocks to the Cirque Du Soleil Luzia to watch A Waking Dream In Mexico. It was so fun and amazing! They used a larger than life shower (It's how my mom described it) and paused it at certain times, making pictures. They made flowers and fish and other plants. It was really cool. The music was great, too. After that, we walked to a nearby restaurant, Taqueria Koreano (Tako). A restaurant my dad really wanted to try. Basically, it was a korean taco restaurant that also served poutine, fried rice, burritos, etc. I, again, had rice. I had grilled chicken with rice and soy sauce. Actually, no. I originally had the veggie poutine. But after trying it back at the apartment, I realized it was spicy and had kimchi. So, I ate the extra rice my mom ordered. Before eating, while Lydia, Colin, Eric, and my dad went up to the apartment, my mom and I went to Charisma, another restaurant near the apartment, to get bubble tea. My mom had almond chai, my dad had black sesami, and Colin and Eric shared a San Pelegreno Limonata. Lydia and I had mango bubble smoothies. They and dinner were both good! After dinner, we went down to the pool inside of the apartment building. It closed at 9 (for kids) but we had the whole pool to ourselves (because no one was there) until the very end when some adults came in to the hot tub.

6 comments:

Galen Tromble said...

Thanks for the report, Rachel. That sounds like some interesting food!

Roy said...

I thought the poutines were really good. Mexican-Korean-Canadian fusion. I had one with bulgogi, Rachel's was just vegetables, but both had guacamole and tomatoes mixed with kimchi and black sesame seeds on top of French fries.

Rachel said...

That sounds about right. Mine was spicy so after a few bites I didn't want to eat any more of it, so I switched to the extra rice and chicken.

Tanya said...

Sounds pretty good!

ket said...

There's now a Mexican-Korean fusion place in Juneau if you ever get back that way.

Rachel said...

Ooh! That sounds good! There's a Mexican-Thai fusion here. Maybe Mexican-Japanese
I'm not sure. I don't remember.