I've had a busy week because midnight last night was the submission deadline for HLT-NAACL 2006, to be held in New York in June. That's Human Language Technology and the North American Association for Computational Linguistics. I got a paper finished and sent it in around ten p.m. Not all of the experiments worked out in the end, but I still had to cut things to fit it into eight pages.
The paper is about constraining sequence labeling models with common sense. The task to which we applied our method is semantic role labeling, wherein we attempt to decide the arguments of each verb in a sentence. (Not just one sentence, but many, actually.) The commonsense constraints are things like "You can't have a verb without any arguments," "You can't have two arguments of the same type," and so on. Traditional sequence labeling models can't enforce those kinds of sentence-level properties.
We'll find out at the end of February whether they like it or not. Just in time for the COLING-ACL submission deadline. That's the one in Sydney. Between now and then I'll be finishing up these experiments, in case the paper is accepted, and working on something else to submit, too.
Saturday, December 17, 2005
Authorship
Posted by
Roy
at
7:03 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
I'm glad you got it done. And now I'm sure I'll be able to explain to people who ask what it is that you're doing these days! (NOT!)
Abstract:
We describe finite-state constraint relaxation, a method for applying global constraints, expressed as automata, to sequence model decoding. We present algorithms for both hard constraints and binary soft constraints. On the CoNLL-2004 semantic role labeling task, we demonstrate a speedup of at least 16x over a previous method that used integer linear programming.
Hope that helps!
Can't say it does.
I'll just have to print out the explanation and carry it with me (because I'll never remember it) and then let them read it for themselves!
Uh, what part of that was the "common sense?" One more question -- Do you feel any better after you relax your constaints?
Dad
Post a Comment