Monday, September 10, 2007

What happened to summer?

Until 3 days ago, I'd only experienced Boulder as hot & sunny with occasional afternoon thunder clouds & lightning and even more occasional brief downpours. But this past weekend it was steadily overcast and much cooler--reminding me of Juneau. The sun was back today but the air was still cool--the house was actually cold this morning after leaving the sliding door slightly ajar overnight.

Our stuff from Juneau arrived just before Labor Day. Most of it's still in stacks of unopened boxes. We've unpacked as much kitchen stuff as will fit in the kitchen [maybe 1/3 of the total; I'm working on setting up a 'pantry' in my office for some of the overflow.] For the first time in my life, I'm living somewhere without a mixer in the kitchen. Which may be just as well as Tom & are are adjusting to the joys of cooking with altitude. After 3 less than perfect attempts at rice I figured out why it was so al dente but then overcompensated on try 4 and ended up with sticky goo. So maybe we'll bake holiday cookies in Goodland.

I'm still employed and trying to settle back in for awhile.

Tonight, I went to the Humane Society of Boulder Valley for an introductory session for those interested in volunteering. I'm not planning to pursue that until next year after I'm more caught up from the transition, but wanted to check it out. It looks like a good place. Tomorrow I'm going to a local weaver's guild meeting (preceded by dinner at the Wok & Roll).

This weekend I'm flying to Oakland to bring back the Punkster. Next week, Tom's parents arrive with my car and will visit for a few days. Before they left Juneau, I joked that they might have to sleep on boxes. That's now looking like an unfortunate bit of prophecy.

Tom's school is going OK, I think. He's buried in more reading than can be humanly completed, + journal entries, handbooks, discussion web-posts, presentations & papers, but I've heard that's the norm for grad school. Apparently the Human Development text is particularly dull and dense. One of his classmates (another one of the 'mature' students) stopped by over the weekend and was commenting on how slow it was to read. Tom started it today and was finding the same thing.

Samantha's decided I need a bath so I'll have to sign off.

2 comments:

Tanya said...

Thanks for the update. I'm not too worried about Christmas treats. I'm sure you won't be able to keep yourself from baking and cooking and will have all the particulars of high-altitude cuisine figured out by then!

Galen Tromble said...

We also leapt from summer to fall in about 1 day here.

The walk down to the farmers market was actually a little brisk.

GT