Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Closed Border

Jenn was wondering if people saw that they closed the border today.

14 comments:

ET said...

And, she was wondering if people were still cognizant of the situation.

Galen Tromble said...

uh.... I'm clueless - what are we talking about....?

ET said...

Really?

Anyone else want to chime in? I'll give it a day or two.

Check back.

Tanya said...

You're going to have to be more specific. A cursory search of Google, the Washington Post website and the CBP website turn up nothing related to a border closing (I'm assuming the US/Mexico border since that would affect quite a few of Jenn's colleagues, but maybe I'm wrong). Why don't you be the one to inform us!

Rone' said...

At approximately 1430, 17 February 2009, the US Customs and Border Protection Offices located at the US-Mexican Border crossings located in El Paso, Big Bend, and Edinburgh, Texas have closed due to violence across the border in Mexico. Protesters clashing with Mexican Police have escalated at the border crossings which has involved gunfire and explosions. Intelligence has reported that the protests may have been staged by the Drug Trafficking Organizations (DTOs) to mask criminal activities along the US - Mexican border. Additional information reports that the Mexican border officials have also closed their side of the border. Personnel are requested to contact their respective subordinate commands for situational awareness and force protection measures. Information has been provided by the Homeland Security Office of Intelligence and Analysis and FBI. As additional information becomes available it will be provided.

Tanya said...

So the whole border isn't closed, just certain of the crossings.

ET said...

Right.

Rone' said...

I find it interesting that I haven't seen anything on the news about it.

Galen Tromble said...

How are Jenn's coworkers affected?

Roy said...

Did this really happen? Google News shows no results for a search on ["El Paso" "Big Bend" Edinburgh].

Rone' said...

What I printed this morning was the bulletin that Mike got at the office yesterday ... presumably the same one that Jenn saw, since they're both at Tinker.

ET said...

UTEP also has a materials/metallurgy department. Many of Jenn's coworkers previously worked in San Antonio (they transferred up when the base closed there) after attending UTEP (where Tim Hardaway played). Anyway ... at least a couple (and maybe a few) of them still have family in El Paso.

mt San Francisco said...

Curiouser and curiouser. I hadn't heard anything about it, but we probably wouldn't have as we've been away...trip photo to come at least if they download okay from the camera...

ET said...

I looked into it after I talked to Jenn ... I found an article on cnn.com on the international page, not the front page.