Thursday, December 20, 2018

'Twas the week before Christmas

You can tell the holidays are nearly upon us. One more day of school and work, and then Mom arrives tomorrow night.

Meanwhile, we had a busy day of celebrations. First, Lydia and Colin had a "showcase" at school, where they performed winter-themed songs with both their classes and the Cub Choir, which meets weekly after school on Thursdays. Colin dressed as a snowman for the event, with a black top hat, a blue scarf, big black "buttons" down his white t-shirt, and his nose painted orange. Then, Eric had a short performance at the end of his pre-school day, wearing a green and red hat. Nicole attended that alone, but took video. Finally, Lydia and Rachel had brief tap dance performances at the ends of their after-school classes this afternoon.

Then we went home, had a quick dinner, and hosted a cookie party with our neighbors. Despite the short notice—Nicole only passed out the invitations a few days ago—it was well attended, and we had a good time.

Now, everyone else is asleep, and I'm up baking Finnish holiday bread (sweet bread with cardamom, which I make using sourdough) for Rachel's multi-cultural fifth grade lunch celebration tomorrow. I made the same thing for Lydia's class the week before Thanksgiving.

Yesterday the three older kids got their solid green belts and two medals apiece at taekwondo.

Tuesday there were extra swim lessons and a basketball practice, and we learned that Rachel and Lydia had done well enough on their latest round of advanced learning testing to qualify for the Highly Capable Cohort. This gives Rachel additional middle school options next year. It probably won't mean anything different for Lydia until then. Colin also tested, but he had an extra reading test, so his results aren't available yet.

Sunday was Lydia's eighth birthday party, an intimate gathering at home attended by twenty-four of her classmates and other friends. Actually, it was quite raucous and nearly overwhelming at times, but Nicole did a great job of planning and we got plenty of help from other parents who stayed. The twenty-eight kids, including ours, did a scavenger hunt around the neighborhood for gingerbread man clues Nicole had hidden, with much enthusiasm despite the rain. Then back at home they decorated "gingerbread" houses made of graham crackers, ate a home-made brownie and mint chip ice cream cake (Lydia's idea), and played Heads Up Seven Up to keep calm.

After the party, to celebrate the success of the endeavor, we went down to Pacific Place for dinner at Din Tai Fung (Lydia loves dumplings). They seated us with no wait, which was a first. After, we went to the Sheraton to see the annual gingerbread displays. There we waited in line for what felt like ages to see the Grinch-themed creations. It's a holiday tradition we enjoy, but next year we'll try to go earlier, when the lines are not so long.

4 comments:

Rone' said...

All packed and ready to go. Leaving work at 3:00.

Tanya said...

Wow! Sounds overwhelming! Even for me!!

mt San Francisco said...

Wow. Just wow!

Nicole Tromble said...

It has been a whirlwind of activity! I can't help but think I've lost a week between Thanksgiving and Christmas. Maybe it has always been this way and I manage to forget or it actually is different this year. Either way, I did not know how I was going to finish laundry from our Mexico City trip, go through with organizing the Coe Family Game Night (first Tuesday after our return from Mexico), plan Lydia's birthday, making tamales to feed an Army, figuring out when to host Rachel and her friend's secret santa exchange, neighborhood cookie and drink open house, Rone, Christmas, uncles and pizza, New Years, and Colin's birthday.

So far, things are going well... all that is left is to make a yule log cake for Christmas dinner at our friend's Paola's (because I damaged my thumb in October, Roy was in charge of wrapping the Christmas presents. He did that last night, it was soooo nice to not have to wrap all the gifts, I am very willing to allow him that task every year. Though, I think he may not be entirely up for my new gift-wrap-delegation.)

It is strange that since the kids have been home on holiday break, there is a calm in the house since we don't have to rush to various extra-curriculars. I think the fact that I'm posting to the family blog would be evidence that we are actually relaxing a bit this holiday season. Cheers!