The water level in Lake Thunderbird has risen almost 2.5 feet in just over a day ... and it's still climbing. This is really good because, prior to a recent rainy stretch, T-bird had been at an all time low. The Little River was stopped with a dam to create Lake Thunderbird in the early 1960's. But, it would be nice if the rain would come a little more Juneau-like ... it's been coming in spurts of downpours (a lot of "red" on the radar).
Here's a link to the water height at Lake Thunderbird.
We're still getting rain, so it's still going to be filling up. I'm just hoping we don't have any major damage to the landscaping in the yard.
Tuesday, May 8, 2007
Rain, rain ...
Posted by
ET
at
6:40 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
I see flooding in OK City on the news tonight. Is your yard work surviving?
The yard work is surviving, thankfully. We had to redo a portion after last week's rains, which where a similar intensity, so we think the path is about to be done. The newest project is a drain through the front yard that serves two purposes. First, it should help the water drain out of the front yard. After it rains, the water just sits in the clay and the yard never dries out. Thus, the grass doesn't really grow that well and it's soggy to walk on. Plus, if I happen to run the wheelbarrow across it, tire tracks are left. Second, it will be a supplemental drain when it rains, to take water away from the house out towards the back yard and into the drainage. Actually, while I was digging today, I found the PVC pipe that is currently installed from the bottom of the driveway out past the back fence. I'm not taking mine quite so far, but it should serve it's purpose ... no more water in the garage!
Now, Thunderbird is up over 1038 feet! That's awesome! It's 4.5 feet higher than a week ago. I think the average depth of the reservoir is about 17 feet (although I could be mistaken), so 4.5 feet is a big deal. Oh, max depth of 58 feet and mean depth of 15.4 feet. There you go, Roy. Obviously, those are based off a certain lake level, which I'm not sure what that baseline is. But, either way, 4.5 feet makes a big difference. There have been a few rain events earlier this year that raised the level up from the record low. I think it was about 7 feet lower than it is now just a couple months ago.
I thought about taking a picture of the dug out drain and titling it iCreek ... the latest landscaping craze, an open channel through your front yard. However, I was too lazy.
I did find another black widow this afternoon. Funny thing is, I'd seen that one a few months ago, back when we planted our maple tree. I didn't know what it was at the time, so I just let it be. It was in just about the same spot this time as last. Thus, I was prepared ... although I was a little surprised that it was still hanging around. I was moving some rocks around. Jenn and I have a long list of landscaping things we want to get done. But, now that the major time sinks (the path) and retaining wall seem to be pretty much complete, we can focus on this and that and getting everything cleaned and prettied up. We had someone out on Saturday to give us a quote on building a deck. We're hoping to get a decent deal and not have to tackle that one ourselves ... just don't really have the time to figure out how to do it and then do it. If the spot we were building on was flat, that would be one thing. Plus, we want to get it done, not have it hanging over like other projects have.
So do you always wear gloves when you're doing yardwork now?
Post a Comment