Blueberries for Sal chronicles a young girl's struggle with self-control and the dangerous consequences of not being attentive. Sal's lack of discipline results in a face-to-face encounter with a bear after losing track of her mother on blueberry hill. Fortunately, the bear is more concerned with finding her son, Little Bear, than eating Sal. Why would a bear eat Sal when there are hordes of blueberries to devour? In the end, Sal is reunited with her mother - who wanted to pick berries to can to eat in the winter - and the bears are reunited and continue eating berries to fatten up for hibernation.
I read this story aloud to Andrew tonight. The book, which I remember reading at some point, was a gift from one of my friends. It was much shorter than my recent reads (probably comparable in length to my last book review), but is probably something Andrew will enjoy earlier in his life than anything having to do with the Corps or the shore.
Thursday, August 6, 2009
Blueberries for Sal
Posted by
ET
at
7:40 PM
Labels: book review
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Good review, Evan. Your opening sentence threw in a couple twists I didn't think about when I was listening to you read it.
Glad to see you branching out! I may have found a way to finally get you reading Oates!! She's written three children's books.
I'm sure Evan would enjoy "Come Meet Muffin".
Post a Comment