Rather late in the game this year, we decided to plant something in the flower bed next to the patio, where Nicole had dug up the daffodil bulbs after they bloomed in the Spring. Mary sent us some pumpkin seeds, so we put those in around the second week of July.
When I left for Singapore, they were starting to really take off, their ever-increasing surface area drinking up more and more of the available sunlight each day.
By the time I got back, they had probably doubled in size. We're hoping this rapid growth will continue, because our late start puts us on the very short end of the allotted growing season.
In other gardening news, our tomatoes have started to ripen, and we've been enjoying them at dinner the last couple days. There has been no additional attrition from neighborhood wildlife.
Monday, August 10, 2009
Pumpkin patch
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
They look good. Lots more leaves than when I was there a week and a half ago.
Maybe you'll just have small pumpkins this year.
I've been reaping the profits of fresh garden produce without having to put in any effort. Marie-Elisabeth keeps me provided with daily offerings from her little garden which she has now moved up the hill to just in front of the house: eggplant, zucchini, tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, little green peppers, strawberries, grapes and figs for the moment. And the neighbor has been giving a lot of cucumber so I made more freezer pickles.
We've had an excellent tomato year - many more than our usual batch -- also have an eggplant or two coming along.
Post a Comment