I flew to Honolulu last Wednesday. I had to get up at 4am again to meet my 6am flight, went through Houston on Continental, and arrived in Honolulu about 13 hours later, a little after noon. Hawai'i doesn't participate in Daylight Saving Time, so whereas it's only five hours behind us on the map, it's six hours behind every time I visit.
Nicole and Rachel met me at the airport. They have been there since last Monday. We stayed with Aunt Chris & Uncle Richard, along with a number of other people. Nicole's cousin Tony lives with them. Her cousin Pat has been staying with them for the last seven months. Her uncle Ricky also came Monday. Her uncle Dell arrived later in the afternoon on Wednesday, as did Richard's parents. Finally, Nicole's mom came in Thursday afternoon. It was a busy place.
Thursday I went snorkeling with Ricky, Dell, and Pat at Hanauma Bay. This was a repeat visit for me—we went there on my first trip to Hawai'i, too. I had a good time, but apparently failed to put enough sunscreen on. When we got home and I took off my shirt to shower, I discovered a large sunburn in the middle of my back, plus more on the backs of my arms, and behind my knees. Oh, well. It has been only a minor discomfort.
Thursday night were bridal shower and bachelor party. The women were much better organized than the men. We just had dinner at the Dixie Grill, across the street from the entrance to Naval housing, then went home.
Friday was mostly wedding prep. I stayed home with Rachel all day. She had a good time playing with her second cousins, Nathan, 4, and Matthew, 2. Friday night was the rehearsal dinner at Dave & Buster's. After dinner, I played pool, shot hoops, and played Guitar Hero. They have an amazing assortment of such entertainment.
Saturday was the wedding. Nicole's cousin Brittany married Matthew Pritchard, whom she met at the University of Idaho. Matt did the golf pro degree program at the U of I, so the wedding had something of a golf + Hawai'i theme. We spent some of the morning setting up the venue. Nicole worked on flowers and decorated the cake. The wedding started at 4:30 and carried on well into the night. The DJ was very entertaining, making sure we did plenty of dancing and had fun at it.
Sunday we went to the Dole plantation for pineapple ice cream. Then Sunday evening I headed to the airport for my flight home. I departed just before 9pm, arrived in Houston the following morning, then in Pittsburgh in the afternoon. I managed a little sleep, finished Sword & Citadel, and started another book along the way.
Nicole and Rachel won't leave Hawai'i until next Wednesday afternoon. They'll be back here Thursday morning, a week from tomorrow. I haven't heard from Nicole since I left, but they're supposed to be on the big island for a couple days right now. She may have something to say about that, and maybe pictures too, when she returns.
Wednesday, September 9, 2009
The Trip to Hawai'i
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Sounds like fun. Hope your snorkeling didn't include a repeat of the ring incident. Was that the same place you lost it at?
The ring is lost in Shark's Cove, which is on the North Shore. Hanauma Bay, on the other hand, is at the east end of the island.
I left my ring in my bag on the beach this time, and put it back on when we were done.
Post a Comment