Thursday, August 12, 2010

Jersey Mike's

Tonight, we went to Jersey Mike's to get sandwiches for dinner. It was pretty good, although it seemed a little expensive (especially considering Subway's $5 footlongs) and the size choices were odd. The regular appeared to be about 7" long and the giant was 14", while the mini was maybe 4". It would be nice if there was a large that was about 10".

Jenn had one with guacamole, turkey, lettuce and tomato ... California Dreamin'. I had the Chicken parm without the provolone. Andrew was "starving" when we got there, so he ate most of an apple cinnamon Nutri-grain-like bar while we were in line and just wanted baked lays at the beginning of dinner. However, about halfway through eating, I pulled a piece of chicken off my sandwich and gave it to him. He seemed to like it, so I saved him the last couple inches of my sandwich. Jenn cut it up and fed it to him with a fork and he seemed to really like it. He really likes pizza, so I think he probably liked the chicken parm because of the marinara sauce. It was definitely a pleasant surprise that he liked it because we were wondering if we'd be able to get him to eat "real food" out at the sub shop.

Andrew did a couple funny things while we were there that I figured were worth sharing. First, he likes cups. He likes his sippy cups, but he really likes regular cups that he can drink from either via normal drinking or using a straw. Not long into the meal, he decided that Jenn's cup that she got for water should be his cup. So, he grabbed it off the table and started drinking out of the straw. At one point, Jenn asked him if she could have a drink. Trying to keep the cup out of reach (so she wouldn't steal it) while still fulfilling the request, he pulled the straw out and held it up to her mouth. Apparently, she should have put a longer straw in the cup in the first place.

Then, as we were getting ready to leave, Jenn put the leftover apple cinnamon bar in the empty lays bag for safe keeping. Andrew, upon seeing the bag, wanted more chips. The look on his face when Jenn pulled the remaining fruit bar out of the chip bag was priceless. He was definitely in a state of disequilibrium. His reaction is consistent with stories from the book I recently reviewed. The set-up in the book was that small children were shown items that were then placed behind a visual barrier. If, when the visual barrier was removed, the same number of things that were put behind it were still there, the small children would look briefly at them. However, if a different number were there than the kids saw being put behind the barrier, the kids looked at the items for a longer amount of time ... "How the heck did all those things get back there?" or "What happened to all of those things?" - obviously, without saying anything because I think they were younger than talking age, if I remember correctly. If Andrew was talking, I think he would have said ... "Where are all the chips? And, fruit bars don't come out of bags like that! I've been bamboozled!!!"

1 comments:

mt San Francisco said...

As I recall, he was already intrigued with straws when we saw him at Christmas...this sounds way super-cute and also like he's going to be a formidable negotiator...