Thursday, January 3, 2019

Avid Reader?

I remember myself as an avid young reader. I think I won my class footprint competition in 2nd grade. I remember cycling to the library on a nearly daily basis in summer to check out books. However, I think Maëva may have me beat. I'm pretty sure she's a much more advanced reader than I was in 2nd grade.
On Christmas evening, she started feeling bored at Franck and Loriane's house. I suggested she ask Tatie Loriane for a Harry Potter book and go in the bedroom to read. She did. For at least an hour, she sat on the bed re-reading HP1 in French all on her own! She had previously only had it read to her in English. It's been awhile, however, since I realized that she was quite capable of reading the HP books on her own if she didn't think I was getting through them aloud fast enough.
For Christmas, Grandpa Galen got her a "big girl" book called Big Foot, Little Foot. When she got up early from rest time this afternoon, I suggested she get Grandpa's book and go sit on my bed to read for the last thirty minutes. An hour and a half later, she was on Chapter 22 . . . out of 24! At one point, I went in to talk to her and she humored me for a few minutes, but I could tell she really just wanted to be left to it. I asked her if she was having problems with any words. "No." Duh, Mom. "Yes, it's good." Please leave me alone, I understood. Then there was a short bathroom break. But those were the only breaks in that 90-minute period. Time to send book #2, Grandpa!

4 comments:

Roy said...

Is it the one by Ellen Potter? Haven't seen those before.

Tanya said...

Yes. And she's quite tickled that the author's name is Potter!

Rachel said...

Awesome job, Maëva!

Tanya said...

Thank you,Rachel. (By Maëva)