Last year there was a bear eating the Rainier cherries from a tree that is just off the SE corner of our front deck, on the east side of the row of evergreen trees. Neighbor Ryan and I saw it at about the same time one morning. I think it had detected us, started to climb down from the tree, and we heard the rustling.
A couple of days ago I went out to the back yard and a similar thing happened. Over the roof of the house, I saw the cherry tree branches moving, and then saw the bear. It quickly climbed down from the tree and disappeared into the wild area east of us.
This morning the bear was back. Plus. In the rustling tree, I saw two bear heads - one little, and one much bigger. As soon as they detected me, they began climbing down quickly. There may have been two cubs, I'm not sure. They ran off behind some evergreens in the wild area, making some bear sounds that I can't describe well, but I'm sure are mother talking to babies.
The cub(s) are quite small, so they're new. I hope the family will move up onto the mountain before long, as having a mother and a cub or two this close to the house doesn't seem like the safest situation for the bears as well as us and all the animals in the neighborhood.
2 comments:
You could get out that orchard ladder and pick the cherries to remove the temptation!
I think there would always be cherries that the bears could reach and I couldn't - amazing how easily they can climb up and down the tree.
Post a Comment