Sunday, April 14, 2024

The Look

Friday afternoon was the third of four mandatory training sessions I have to do this year in which we're supposed to be discussing and analyzing our teaching techniques. There are six other first-year associate professors in the group. We all teach in the humanities. We did virtually nothing in the first six hours, so I had little hope for Friday afternoon. During the first session, the instructor had mentioned she would like to have videos of us teaching for us all to look at. Nobody seemed incredibly enthusiastic at the idea, but I decided I didn't really mind, so I recorded one of my literature classes and sent it to the instructor.

Friday, towards the end of the session, we finally got down to the business of analyzing my class. The teacher played a few extracts from the video. I commented on what was going on. Then she asked me a few questions. We ran out of time for all of the questions she'd planned, so she said we'd continue next time, on the 22nd. However, to end the class, she said that we could see that I have the look and presence of a "real" associate professor, and everyone else enthusiastically agreed. What a lovely way to end the week!

3 comments:

Kristen said...

Such a relief to know you’re neither artificial nor imaginary.

Tanya said...

Hmmm. Perhaps I should have said "demeanor," "charisma" or "bearing" . . .

mt San Francisco said...

Personally, I think you have the look of a real Distinguished Professor! The world just has to catch up to you.