Thursday, November 11, 2004

Holidays

Today is a holiday for the WWI Armistice. French people don't mind taking a day off in the middle of the week. Unfortunately (from my point of view), that also means they get jipped out of a day off when the holiday falls on a Saturday or Sunday. Yeah, I know, getting a day off from work is not really the spirit of the holiday, however, that's what counts for me. I am going to try to study today, although I don't really want to. Then tonight we're going out to eat at a restaurant with Sylvain's parents and some friends.

I was wondering what everyone's Thanksgiving plans are? The point of this question is so that I can read your responses and get depressed and feel jealous, since I, of course, have to work on Thursday, the 25th until 8:30 pm. I am planning a Thanksgiving dinner on Saturday, the 27th which will be nice, although not quite the same.

4 comments:

Galen Tromble said...

Hi Tanya. We're off work here today as well. It's the same holiday, I guess, but in the U.S. they changed it from a WW1 holiday to honor all veterans of all wars, and they renamed it from "Armistice Day" to "Veterans' Day".

I don't know of exact holiday plans yet, but I suspect there will be some sort of delicious pig-out event. Pam has a suite of Thanksgiving food that she traditionally prepares, and Nicole is no slouch in the food department either. I think we're planning to get together with Roy and Nicole, but I'm not sure which location.

Dad

ET said...

Pig out . . . how about turkey eat! Anyway, I'm planning to watch what I eat, so I don't feel like I want to throw up afterwards . . . save room for pie . . . watch lots of football - the Texas A&M v. UT game is that Friday . . . I'm kind of hoping UT wins so we can make fun of the A&M students and grads in Jenn's family, but if UT losses, there's a better chance Utah will make it to a BCS bowl, which would be good, so . . . I'm torn.
Oh yeah, Thanksgiving plans. Well, obviously (maybe not), since I talked of making fun of the Aggies, Jenn and I are going down to Texas. Janice is supposed to me moved into her house by then, so we're going to stay with her. Jester and Justice will make the trip . . . they should keep it interesting. Hopefully, they will decide that riding in the car is a good opportunity to catch up on sleep, once they realize that they aren't going to the park.
No fair you get today off . . . I don't get today off . . . I have to turn in a 50 page scientific computing homework (although, most of the pages are just plots and data spit out by a program I wrote, but still).

Tanya said...

I knew it was Veterans' Day in the US, but for some reason I was thinking that you would celebrate it on a Monday instead of in the middle of the week (like with Presidents' Day).

mt San Francisco said...

We're going down to Anwyl's brother's house in Sunnyvale (near San Jose.) I'm hoping to find a restaurant in Goodland that will deliver Thanksgiving meals for Grandparents.