Saturday, November 20, 2004

More Tales from the Freezer

Ice cream production had slowed down a bit during, for example, the busy month of October in the home of the Wyman Park Trombles. However, of late there has been something of a resurgence. I continue to experiment with bananas. While Meredith was here she sampled my then latest attempt, a banana gelato. It was an improvement over prior forays, but still left something to be desired. So, a few days ago I finally tried using an un-frozen banana. Every time before, I had resorted to putting the bananas in the freezer, because they were starting to look bad before I was ready to use them. This time, I basically let the banana turn to mush. It was very soft, and the peel was almost completely brown, but when I peeled it there were no brown spots on the inside. And, I am happy to say that the ice cream it produced seems to be what I have been looking for all along—namely, my favorite flavor.

In other news, we decided to do Thanksgiving dinner in Silver Spring. There was a request that the Baltimorons provide dessert. I immediately suggested . . . pumpkin ice cream! I was anticipating mixed responses, but found nothing of the sort. At least that's the way I interpreted it. So, this morning I whipped up a batch. It is flavored with cinnamon and nutmeg, and early indications are that it will taste like pumpkin pie with whipped cream, minus the crust. I can hear you all drooling now. Where are your manners?

5 comments:

Galen Tromble said...

Sounds.... interestng. Seems like we need vanilla pie to put our pumpkin ice cream on -- very confusing....

Dad

Tanya said...

Are you sure you want to call yourselves the "Baltimorons"? Just wondering ...

Pumpkin ice cream sounds delicious. I have to teach two classes Thursday evening so I'm planning to make up a couple pumpkin pies to take to share with my students. The French don't eat pumpkin pie so they're usually very wary about the whole thing until they actually get around to tasting it and discover how delicious it actually is!

Tanya said...

Vanilla cake might be good.

ET said...

MANNERS? Aren't you the one who licked a salad plate at a restaurant so you could get the last bit of salad dressing? I thought so. Enough said.

mt San Francisco said...

Looking forward to the perfected banana ice cream on my next trip East!