Sunday, March 19, 2006

Back to the Blog, Part 2 or something...

I seem to have long spells away from the blog. Of course, since it is always up on our computer, I do read the posts and comments from time to time. Roy and I have been busy these past couple of months. We had finished our first session of tango classes and are waiting to start our second session soon. We have ventured out to the gym once, but that trend didn't last long, my problem is motivation. School life has gotten better overall, there are times when I want to scream or run my department chair over with the car, but I'm happier teaching again. I have requested a transfer, nothing has come of it so far. One of the sillier moments was when I had my class went to spring carol the principal with "Pi Day Songs" in his office. That was very funny and the kids loved it. Finally, I turned 26. It was a nice birthday, flowers, gifts, dinner, and a movie. The rest of it, Roy has kept you up to speed with his postings.

9 comments:

Tanya said...

Hope you had a nice birthday. What movie did you see? What kind of dinner did you have?

Nicole Tromble said...

Italian dinner and watched Failure to Launch.

Tanya said...

I am totally disconnected from the American movie scene. What's Failure to Launch about and was it any good? Has anybody else seen it?

Kristen said...

Failure to Launch is advertised as a comedy with Matthew McConaughey playing a 35? year old man still living with his parent. Sarah Jessica Parker's character schemes with his parents to get him to move out of the house. It's gotten pretty dismal reviews. I'd be interested in Roy & Nicoles' opinion.

Roy said...

I'm not sure what the reviewers said, but I can probably make a decent guess. I don't know why they bother with formula films.

It has some redeeming qualities. For example, it is set in Maryland, and there is at least one shot of Baltimore's inner harbor. And I think it provoked plenty of laughter, even if some of the humor is rather low.

As far as romantic comedies go, I think this is the first I have seen that uses bizarre animal attacks as a driving plot device. So it isn't totally formulaic. And it seems at least partly aware of its triteness. That's a step, right?

My recommendation: you don't need to see this movie, but it won't hurt either—much like most of the movies we see.

Tanya said...

What sort of bizarre animal attacks? In "Along Came Polly", Jennifer Aniston's character had a ferret that was misused by Ben Stiller's character though it didn't do much attacking itself ...

Roy said...

Chipmunk, dolphin, mockingbird, chuckwalla.

ET said...

Chuckwalla?

Tanya said...

Yes, I too am curious about that fourth item!