Well, I did it. As of COB Friday, I'm unemployed. To celebrate, Tom and I went out to eat Friday night. It was not an auspicious beginning. We didn't think to look up directions to our chosen restaurant because we'd been there a couple of times when visiting prior to the move. We got lost. For the first time in memory, I forgot to wear my glasses on an outing so I was no help in the ensuing search. By the time we found it, it was busy with an hour wait. We went across the street to a French restaurant that is mentioned in the Best of Boulder. Unfortunately it was extremely loud and my food (Chicken Bocuse?) was barely edible but not at all enjoyable. Tom's bouillabaisse had a good flavor but the seafood was (not surprisingly) not the freshest.
So far the biggest impact of being unemployed is trying to figure out what to do about health insurance.
We haven't had ice like OK but do have a few inches of snow with more falling now. Hopefully all the snow and ice will have come and gone before travel begins for the Trombleganza.
Speaking of which, if anyone wants to make a favorite food item during the Trombleganza and needs an ingredient they don't want to pack and that may not be at the Goodland Walmart, let me know and I'll see if I can find it here.
This is Tom's last week of classes for the semester but he's taking incompletes so will have a lot of work to catch up on over the break. It's a long story involving a dysfunctional teacher, upset students, stressed out Tom (and, by proxy, Kristen) and a lot of time spent trying to communicate with students, faculty and administrators to try to resolve the issues. For awhile it looked like we might be leaving Boulder much sooner than anticipated! The issues aren't resolved but some progress has been made (more at the personal 'deal with it' level, but also at the class level). At this point Tom's planning to be back for next semester.
There's been progress on my house sale, too. The buyer signed an early occupancy agreement. He's supposed to move in on Dec 28 and assume responsibility for utilities, repairs, etc. He'll pay me rent until the deal closes, which will hopefully happen by March. Given all the back and forths up to now, I'm not getting too excited until I actually get the first check.
Tuesday, December 11, 2007
Boulder Bum
Posted by
Kristen
at
10:29 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I thought the house was sold ... what happened?
In my limited time driving around Boulder, I found it to be quite easy to get lost ... although I've probably only been up there 5-10 times ... maybe 8-9?
I had a buyer in August the first week it was on the market. Unfortunately, he hasn't been able to sell or rent his house in Idaho and hasn't been willing to proceed until that happens. The deal's been on and off again all fall--we extended the contract something like 8 times and have now done an early occupancy agreement with closing to happen sometime before the end of March. The buyer seems nice but a bit flaky--not always communicating timely, not communicating important info, and not getting the appraisal he agreed to. However, no other options have presented themselves so we're proceeding with the bird in the the hand. If he bails in March at least it will be a better time to go back on the market.
The joys of home selling, I guess.
Post a Comment