Since we're doing restaurant reviews, Anwyl and I went out last night for Evan's birthday, too! We walked down the hill to College Avenue (the street that our local BART stop is on, for those of you in the know) and alighted at "Somerset," a moderately fancy place with beautiful wood paneling and reproductions of Edward Hopper paintings on the walls. I commented to A. that Hopper was an odd choice for a restaurant, as his paintings are moody and when there are people in them they tend to seem isolated and alone, very unlike the convivial dating chitchat going on all around us.
We split a baked goat cheese-on-a-bed-of-spinach appetizer and a roasted beet salad with grapefruit section and candied walnuts. The salad was good but the baked goat cheese was spectacular -- the texture was a just a little bit bready, like a pudding cake. Then we moved on to macaroni and cheese -- fancy cheese on fancy pasta, with Crimini mushrooms mixed in (Anwyl--and he ate EVERY mushroom!) and vegetables in puff pastry (me) with four little mounds of spinach decorating the plate. I had a glass of Riesling and Anwyl had a Pilsner, which came in a tall glass that looked an awful lot like a test tube. We concluded by sharing a bowl of Mexican hot chocolate, which has cinnamon in it.
Anwyl and Rowyn just walked in the door -- off to other pursuits, happy December to all.
Sunday, December 2, 2007
Some More Fancy Food
Posted by
mt San Francisco
at
11:48 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Thursday night Tom and I had our first Boulder pizza at a little place near our apt that was listed in the Best of Boulder as best late night food and runner up best pizza. We had a Canadian bacon, green pepper & pineapple pie which we liked well enough that we went back Saturday night for a Canadian bacon, mushroom and black olive version prior to heading to a party thrown by a group of Tom's classmates that we figured out at the last minute promised only munchies, not dinner. We both liked the pizza OK and agreed it was a step up from Bullwinkles, though we liked the first combo better than the second.
The party was OK though I do wonder why people want to stand around for hours in a kitchen bunched into different groups talking over each other at top volume. The hostess' house had an outdoor hot tub and midway through the evening it snowed just enough to barely cover the walkways with a light dusting, after which we were treated to the spectacle of guys clad only in swim trunks (the oldest, most out of shape of whom had the tightest, skimpiest pair) rolling around on the ground in the 'snow'.
There's another party next weekend that another student is hosting. Hopefully, that'll be all for this year....
I had a similar feeling at a recent student party I attended for Thanksgiving. I guess once you're no longer a student, you just don't get it anymore ...
I have to commend you on your canadian bacon, pepper and pineapple choice ... way to go.
I've always found parties to be pretty lame ... why would you want to share beer ... it's much more fun to just sit on the couch and down a keg yourself.
Post a Comment