Monday, July 6, 2009

I SHOULD be sleeping

And, in fact, I was sleeping. I'm not sure when the three of us fell asleep. But, I do know when I woke up. It was at 12:37 AM. A fussy baby? No. The phone rang. Jenn woke up and answered, then told the guy it was a wrong number. Then, two minutes later, the phone rang again. I recognized the number from earlier in the evening.

Our neighborhood (and apparently a few others, including Dr. Kolar's a mile to the south) has been targeted by roofing companies due to hail earlier this year. We had the insurance send out an adjuster to access the condition of the roof and the preliminary report is that he is totaling it. So, we will probably be getting it replaced in the near future, although we haven't received final word from the insurance company yet because they are processing the highest priority claims first.

Anyway, the doorbell rang this morning and Jenn answered it. It was someone from TRS Roofing. They were going to be out on Tuesday to do an estimate for our neighbors (Rich's old house - the uphill neighbors already had theirs done) and were wondering if we were interested. We'd been meaning to get estimates from a few companies in anticipation of having to get the roof redone, so Jenn told them they could give us a free estimate as well. I answered the phone at 7:10 PM Monday evening when the caller ID came up Robert Liske and had a brief discussion with a man on the other end of the line who said that someone would be out around 10 AM on Tuesday morning.

So, when I got the phone from Jenn at 12:39 AM and noticed the caller ID said Robert Liske (I thought the number associated with the name looked familiar as well), I thought it was a little odd. We get the occasional wrong number call, but it usually isn't someone we have heard from before. I asked him if he was affiliated with TRS, which he denied. I thought I made it clear to him that he had the wrong number, but apparently, I didn't. He called back at 12:41 ... apparently he was looking for Rachel. Or, maybe it was Rachael. Either way, I doubt he was concerned with the welfare of my niece ... and I'm sure her parents wouldn't be happy with calls like this either. So, I thought I'd finally convinced him that he should quit calling.

Since I was up, I tried to see if I could find a link between TRS and Robert Liske. I was unsuccessful, but I was able to pull up the Vonage account records and confirm that the same number was used (unless someone from another company was trying to make TRS look bad by rigging the caller ID!) in the last three calls (none of which woke up Andrew, to the best of my knowledge) and the one setting up the appointment that occurred at a reasonable hour.

And, just after Jenn went back to bed, when I was getting ready to IM Tanya and tell her about this rude interruption, the phone rang again. Jenn got to a receiver before I did, but I picked up anyway, and heard the same voice on the other end of the line. It wasn't a mean voice. It wasn't an amused voice. Rather, it was a confused voice. The time stamp on the call was 12:55 AM and it has now been 20 minutes since his last attempt to find "Rachel/Rachael". I doubt he'll call again. I told him that she was not here and that he was calling someone who was previously thinking about having TRS do their roof. I explained to him that there was a sleeping baby in the house and that if he didn't quit calling there would be no way we'd even consider TRS for the job (not that there is much chance we'll be sending business their way after just 4 unwarranted middle of the night calls).

I think we're still planning on getting our free estimate, but I can't see us using TRS. Do you really want someone doing your roof that calls you four times during the middle of the night? If he's drunk at 1 AM calling around looking for a girl, I'm not sure that's the kind of person I want directing a crew of workers. It's entirely possible that people from other companies do the exact same thing, but, as the saying goes, it's better for people to assume you're a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt!

6 comments:

Tanya said...

Wow! What an exciting night! All I did was sleep. How boring! Sorry I missed your IM. The esthetician arrived and I had to get my legs waxed!

Galen Tromble said...

When he asked for Rachel, you should have said, "Hi, I'm Rachel" . That probably would have scared him off. Perhaps he was having operator error and hitting redial.

mt San Francisco said...

Still, sounds like it would be worth checking on TRS with the Better Business Bureau before letting anyone associated with them near your home. Good detective work!

ET said...

I did. They rate out find on the better business bureau site. In an update, the guy called (at a reasonable time) in the morning. He claims (I can neither validate or invalidate this story) that he found a note from his roommate the next morning. So, he is claiming that his roommate was looking for Rachel.

ET said...

That should have been "fine" ... but since no one is on the blog these days, I guess it doesn't really matter.

We had another roofing company stop by this evening looking for work. They're like vultures!

Tanya said...

I am on the blog. Just not blogging. Will when I feel better. Want to post a photo of my JCO dedication!