We drove down to the hospital just before midnight. We waited in the lobby of the hospital until midnight, then were admitted. After things got going (Jenn in bed with IV, etc.), I went to sleep on the pull-out chair. It wasn't very comfortable, but I was tired.
I woke up around 4 because Jenn wasn't having as easy a go of things. She was in some discomfort. I got up and had a feeling of nausea and a small impulse to attempt to vomit. So, I quickly laid back down. However, Jenn didn't seem to be enjoying herself, so I went and sat by her. I was sitting in the chair by the bed, not feeling great, when the nurse had her prep for the epideral. This consisted of her sitting up. As she wasn't feeling good, the nurse had me stand up so she could lean against me.
This was the beginning of the end. I was able to stand there for a while ... I'm not sure how long. But, I didn't feel good, so eventually I sat down and supported from a sitting position. The guy came in to give the epideral and, at some point, I really started not feeling good. I felt the need to lay down. However, the nurse did not want me to move. So, I sat ... and my condition worsened. I think I remember her yelling for help, but I think that's about the last thing I remember.
I blacked out. I came to, apparently about 30 seconds (Jenn's estimate, though she said it seemed like longer to her) later. I was disoriented, still feeling bad, and being fanned by nurses with cold wash cloths on my head and neck. I was sweating profusely, and attempted to quickly remove my fleece jacket, although the actual removal was probably far from quick.
I convinced the nurses that I needed to lay down on the floor. The incident was not unlike my experiences in Vicksburg and around the 4th of July last year (I think it was just last year). I wasn't able to make it to the floor (they wanted to lay a blanket down on the floor) before vomiting a little bit. See, I knew I needed to throw up!!!
I'm not sure how long I spent on the floor. Fortunately, the epideral took the edge off for Jenn and she was able to labor with relative ease during my episode.
Eventually, I was able to make it back to the pull-out chair/bed. I was able to keep some food down, and, eventually, I moved to the recliner. After lunch, Janice and I moved the recliner over adjacent to Jenn's bed so I could help her with the final stretches. The contractions started getting more intense after noon, and the final dilation and birth came quickly during the hour plus after that.
Lucas was born, according to Dr. Resneder, at 13:12 on 09/10/11. The nurse measured him at 19 1/4 inches, and he weighed 7 lbs 14 oz. Dr. Wilson came by and checked Lucas out and said that everything seems good. Jennifer is doing very well, as well. This pregnancy seemed to go through without the major hiccups (high blood pressure) that confronted her at the end of her time carrying Andrew, although we've heard that is often a complication of first pregnancies, so it wasn't unexpected that it didn't happen this time.
I'm hoping a good night's rest will help me recover. Lucas seems to be feeding well, so that was good. Also, Andrew seemed to like Lucas when mom and Mike stopped by this afternoon.
I didn't take any pictures with our camera. Mom and Janice both have pictures. I'll have to get some. Time to shower and walk the dogs!
Saturday, September 10, 2011
Out!
Posted by
ET
at
5:29 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Does Lucas have a middle name?
Gene
Lucas Gene Tromble (although, I don't think we've actually put it on any official documentation, yet)
Félicitations! Nice looking family.
Thank you! It is really good to hear the story...although I am so sorry that you both had to suffer. Lucas Gene looks WONDERFUL and I can't wait to meet him.
I extended my trip to take another class (well, 3 more) so am just catching up. Welcome, Lucas!
Post a Comment