I just finished reading this novel out loud to Maëva. It is one of the ones from my May conference list. I dutifully read it because I had gone to the bother of purchasing it, however, I can't say I thoroughly enjoyed the experience nor that I would recommend the volume to any of you, although it might be an appropriate candidate for Roy's sci-fi group as it involves computers and virtual reality and such (Are you still doing that, Roy?). Why not? One of the reasons is that at times several pages would go by without my understanding a single thing. I was reading the words, and the words were English, but the addition of said words were not computing into any comprehensible meaning for me. Furthermore, the two completely different story lines are eventually tied together in the final pages, but the connection supposes you are ready to suspend the realistic premises from which you have understood the first 400 pages of the novel to accept that a fantastic occurence is responsible for the freeing of a hostage. Don't get me wrong, I'm not against the occasional fantastic episode (Oates writes a mean one from time to time!), I just wasn't particularly impressed with this one. To give Powers the benefit of the doubt, perhaps I was distracted by the fact that I was reading and nursing at the same time and was not giving the novel my full and undivided attention. For that, I apologize. However, I still do not plan on picking up any of his other novels any time soon.
Thursday, September 29, 2011
"Plowing The Dark" by Richard Powers
Posted by
Tanya
at
3:18 AM
Labels: book review, sci-fi, Tanya
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I am still organizing the sci-fi reading group at work, but attendance has been down this year. Maybe I can take a look at this in December.
I've heard of Powers before, I think because of The Gold Bug Variations, but haven't read any.
I started reading a translated (into English) version of Le Petit Prince (The Little Prince) to Andrew tonight. He picked it out of the stack. We read for 30 minutes ... then it was time to go to sleep.
I remember story time ... I don't remember many of the books we read (listened to) ... aside from the Lord of the Rings books.
This post was still heavily Maeva-centric ... but that's ok.
Ev, I'll have to get Andrew a French version, too.
Roy, I didn't realize you were the fearless leader! Thought you were just a simple peon reader. Should have known better!! I will happily even GIVE you my copy when you're here in December.
Post a Comment