I dusted off my adjustable, Ironmaster, weight equipment last night. I've been doing a lot of running in the new year, and my lifting has been picking back up. But, for the most part, I've been using the olympic bar.
Yesterday, the WOD from gzcrossfit.com was AMRAP in 8 minutes, switching between KB swings and KB goblet squats, using 2 pood (or poods?) for each of the exercises. I wasn't able to use the exact weight, so I decided to try 72.5 lbs on the KB. This was easily accomplished using the large, 22.5 lb plates from the DB add-on kit (@Galen). I put 2 - 22.5 lb plates on the 22.5 pound handle, added a 2.5, and locked it down with the 2.5 lb locking screw. Or, that what I tried to do.
The first long locking pin would not grab and twist to lock down. After a couple minutes trying to make it work, I grabbed a different one and it went in with no problem. I was able to get 4 sets of each of the exercises. Swinging 72.5 lbs was a little intense ... 8 reps per set was a good number, any more would have been a disaster, I think. The goblet squats weren't a lot of fun, but that's mostly because my legs are torched from all the running and other leg-centric lifting I've been doing. Plus, the back involvement necessary to goblet squat just added to the misery from the swings ... oh, such fun!
After finishing, I sent an e-mail inquiry to Ironmaster. I have yet to receive a response, but I think they operate out of the Pacific time zone, so I'm not that surprised.
I am surprised with my run of total incompetence, though (note: not my incompetence, the incompetence of people I encounter). Circle K clerks, Subaru window tinters, tile people, Chipotle guy (put cheese on my burrito, despite my call for "just lettuce" ... he picked most of it off, but the cheese residual is NOT good), day care people, the lady at Panda Express last night, etc.
Re: lady at Panda Express
We bought a coupon book from one of the kids in the neighborhood. Actually, from his mom, who did all the talking, with her 15 year-old son standing behind her. It was a fundraiser for the Moore HS baseball team. Anyway, the coupons for Panda Express are "Buy one 2-entree plate and a 32 oz. drink and receive a 2-entree plate free." So, we went yesterday because we were supposed to get Valentine's for day care (another disaster, as Dollar Tree was out, so we didn't get any, I was NOT going to go to Wal*mart or Target for Valentine's for a 2.5 year-old). Jenn handed the lady the coupon and said we needed a 32 oz. drink.
Did we get a 32 oz. drink (which, in Panda Express terms, is a medium ... I think it's the purple cup ... or maybe it's blue)? Obviously, the answer is "NO!" She gave us a LARGE (44 oz.)! Big deal? Not really. Ridiculous? I think so.
Tuesday, February 14, 2012
Are you kidding me?!?
Posted by
ET
at
7:18 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
It's our motto at work: YJCFS!!! (You Just Can't Fix Stupid!!!). It seems they are everywhere these days...but I'm sure it is worse for really smart people! Sorry, Evan, but I think you are destined to have to endure us!
I can't possibly compete with Evan's descriptions of exercises that detail workouts in lingo far outside my experience -- for all I know he is swinging sandbags from his ears -- but I will report that my daily pushup count is now 73, and I started doing pullups daily as well -- currently 5.
Pullups at the gym? Dead hang or swinging like a mad man?
I'm tempted to make some snide remark about Oklahoma. But, actually, I think people are pretty much the same wherever you go ...
I like learning the new workout terms -- I personally myself am doing 10 full pushups! (Not from the knees.) Major milestone...And Anwyl is riding his bike to LA, which seems like it ought to count for something...
Why is he riding to LA?
Post a Comment