Today, all I did was 3.5 miles on the elliptical, hitting my 500-calorie mark (8/8 in February, 37/39 for the year). Impressive? Not so much.
Stepping back in time a little bit, I've been checking the gzcrossfit.com website (the website for the local cross fit gym where my co-worker Ian has been working out) for the workout of the day recently. Monday night or Tuesday morning, I saw the posting for Tuesday: 3 rounds of 10 reps of deadlift @ 275 lbs and 50 double unders.
I thought it was a bit odd that a weight was specified, although it often is. It seemed like a fairly large amount of weight for average Joes ... lots of the time they post a percentage of the one-rep max.
So, when Ian showed up at work on Tuesday, I asked him about it. Apparently, there are different levels, each with a different weight target ... they just post the top level. Ahhh ... that makes some sense. Not everyone does 275. Ian said that during his workout time, only one of the people was doing the top level (deadlifting 275). Apparently, they consider 3 single jumps to be equivalent to 1 double under, too. Ian said he'd done 185 lbs, which was more than his previous max. I viewed this as a challenge, not by Ian, but personally. I'd done a few deadlifts a couple days previously, and I'd been doing 3 reps @ 245 lbs. If I was going to do 275 lbs, I was going to have to step up my game.
After running a few miles, eating dinner, hanging with the boys, getting them to bed, talking to Roy a bit, etc., it was time to work out. I knocked it out in somewhere between 13-14 minutes. It was definitely a step up in intensity, which was fun, and painful. I'm a little sore today, although not to the level that I thought I might be. Hopefully, it won't escalate overnight tonight ... I want to knock out another workout tomorrow.
Wednesday, February 8, 2012
Workout of the Day
Posted by
ET
at
8:26 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment