Thursday, January 1, 2015

Something is Off

I have 10 birthdays planned under my belt, but for some reason this double party is not happening quite the same way.  The biggest difference is that I had planned Lydia's past 3 and Colin's first birthday essentially at the same time.  I started buying party supplies Winter 2010.  Last year was the last of those pre-planned celebrations.

Now in a new city, in a tiny apartment, and a smaller group of friends; I am still working on the major pieces and the party is only 3 days away.  I have spent the past couple of days finding random free time here and there to search the surrounding stores for the right things needed for the party.

Just this week I planned two different menus.  I couldn't decide on what to do.  Since the party is at an off-site place, The Little Gym (where the kids are enroll in gymnastics), I decided to scrap the hot food stuff and recreate the "Walking Tacos" we did for Rachel's 5th birthday.  I bought three-nesting crock pots.  For this party, they will keep the ground beef and beans warm.  I went to Safeway for individual Fritos bags.  No luck.  I checked online, $18 in shipping.  Think not.  I went to Albertsons, Walmart, called Target, Roy checked Bartells and 7-Eleven.  Plan B, get some bowls and put out a large bowl of chips to serve from.  Okay, Dollar Tree trip #3.  I found the right bowls, just enough.  AND... Fritos bags.  They had 22.  Graciously they called the other Dollar Tree down the road and told me they had 27 bags.  On my way.  Now I have both bags and bowls and not sure which is a better idea.  After some thought, I might put Roy to work on creating 24 pink water lilies using the paper napkins.

The theme is leap frog.  I bought blue lunch plates, have green bowls, and pink flowers and will create a water lily place setting for each kid (19-21).  Then I bought more than I needed gummy frogs.  They are in blue cellophane bags tied with green, blue, pink, and frog ribbon.  I'm waiting for my Amazon shipment of balloon sticks (Roy doesn't want helium) to attach a balloon to each frog bag.  These will double as favors and decorations.

I have to buy all the food stuff and make the cakes.  Thankfully, I now know what I'm doing so it is just a matter of getting it done.

I am just wondering, why are so many things happening last minute (at least compared to my normal self).  This isn't just something I have noticed with the birthday party, but Christmas in general.  I never had to shop for major gifts a week before Christmas!  Roy stayed true to form and went shopping Christmas Eve.  I don't know how he does it.  I was a total stress wreck worried about getting these things done.  Good thing there is a Trader Joes downstairs that sells wine.

0 comments: