Although I've recently read that heredity is less of a factor in eyesight problems than it used to be now that a significant amount of children are not spending enough time outdoors in direct sunlight, it is still an indicator and the girls' medical personnel are always asking about the eyesight conditions of family members. I never know what to say. My eyesight has always been 20/20! I just recently learned that Sylvain has had glasses since the age of 5. Our pediatrician and eye doctor recommend yearly checkups for our girls until the age of 6, especially because of Sylvain's weak eyes at an early age. Maëva had her yearly checkup yesterday. Her eyesight is currently perfect for her age. However, her eye doctor recommended that I collect eyesight information from all the members of the family. So this post is my request. If you have an eyesight problem, however minor, can you please post what it is (ex: near-sighted, far-sighted) and at what age it started?
Tuesday, September 15, 2015
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
13 comments:
mildly near sighted; first glasses around age 10
Near-sighted, with my right eye much worse than my left. I got my first glasses around age 12, but probably needed them sooner.
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/kids-exposed-to-more-sunlight-less-likely-to-need-glasses/
I don't know. I blur at distances. First glasses at 19? Still don't need them to drive, etc.
Yes, Nicole, that headline sounds like a similar thing to what I read. The article I read explained that heredity is just one factor in eyesight problems. Children apparently need at least three hours of exposure to direct sunlight per day for proper eye development. In the past, getting this exposure wasn't a problem and the heredity factor was more pronounced. Now that many children don't get this exposure, the heredity factor is diluted by other problems created by lack of sunlight exposure. It's always important to know family medical history, though.
Mom, Dad, Kristen, Meredith, does anyone know this information for your parents?
Evan, if you blur at distances, you are also nearsighted.
When I was younger, I enjoyed being far sided.
When I was younger, I enjoyed being far sided.
I'm near sighted. First got glasses in junior high. Daddy has worn glasses since they were married at least. I can't remember if he was wearing them in his Army pictures. I think mom first got glasses about the same time I did. Kenny got them in first grade and gas always had horrible vision.
I no longer have 20/20, but still don't need glasses. Dad and Mom both wore glasses. I don't know when that started. Dad was far-sighted, I believe.
He always had horrible vision and gas?
I believe one parent was near- and one was far-sighted. I thought mom was far-sighted and dad near-sighted but could have that reversed.
Post a Comment