My friend Markus from grad school had a birthday party for his two-year-old son Lukas yesterday. It was a potluck brunch at Green Lake playground, so I decided to bake some bread. I made a white sourdough loaf, which always turns out great, and an experimental whole wheat loaf with chia seeds. I've made 100% whole wheat loaves before (not counting the sourdough starter, which was made from white flour), but the chia seeds are totally new.
I thought I would follow the usual seeds and nuts instructions, soaking them before adding them to the dough, not realizing that adding water to chia would result in a gelatinous semi-solid. But I went ahead and incorporated it into the dough anyway, and it turned out really nice. Whole wheat breads often end up drier, but not this time. I expected the white bread to be more popular at brunch, but in fact it was the whole wheat chia that was almost gone when we left. Both breads were a big hit.
Sunday, May 29, 2016
Chia bread
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
whole wheat chia sounds very good!
That sounds like a great discovery!
You'll have to make us some in July!
I've been contemplating taking the bread show on the road. I'll try to make something happen in Oklahoma. I won't be able to transport all the accoutrements, but I can at least bring some culture.
Nicole and I just finished watching the four part Michael Pollan Netflix miniseries "Cooked", which has me feeling pretty good about making bread using slow fermentation and sharing it with others.
Yeah! Yummy news.
Post a Comment