Monday, May 30, 2016

French Mother's Day

Friday morning, Maëva told me she didn't want me to pick her up from school because she would be bringing home a surprise for me. Sylvain had an appointment, so David picked her up. She hid her surprise from school at her grandparents' house before coming home. She also spent quite a few hours over there at the end of the week working on another surprise project.
Sunday morning, 7am. Maëva woke up and immediately declared she had to go to her grandparents' to get my two surprises. She ran over and came right back bearing my Mother's Day gifts: a wire spiral bracelet of orange, yellow, pink and purple pearlescent beads made at school and an intricate flower picture she colored in from Marie-Elisabeth's adult coloring book. Later in the day, she wanted to know which gift I liked best. Of course, I insisted that I like each equally because I love everything she makes me. She also recited the Mother's Day poem for me that she learned at school. Then we headed upstairs and Maëva helped me make waffles for breakfast.
Laureva was sick (strep + stomach flu + rash from reaction to a spider bite) so she stayed home with Sylvain while I took Maëva to the pool. After swimming, we dashed home to get ready for lunch. We went out to La Suite in Peypin with Mireille, Alain, Jackye, Marie-Elisabeth and David. La Suite is a French-style Californian cuisine restaurant: French cooking with Asian influence. We've been there several times and I've always enjoyed it. Yesterday, I had "Sushi Cake" which had tuna and salmon, rice and vegetables and was made to look like a big slice of maki. That was followed by tuna with some kind of pickled spicy green condiment that was very good. For desert, chocolate coconut cake.

In this photo, you can seem me sporting my other gift, a new red-orange dress from Sylvain.
It was a very pleasant day, made extra special by all the attention paid me by my eldest daughter.