After a very wet July and early August, we've hit a dry spell. I'm sure it's just a coincidence, but it started the day I installed my new rain gauge to participate in the CoCoRAHS citizen science project.
I have been reporting data every day since. Zero - nada - nil - zilch! We've had rain in the forecast several days, but none has come. Yesterday evening there was a greater than 50% chance of thunderstorms, and indeed we had lightning and thunder right over the house - but no rain. I'm beginning to feel jinxed.
My data is reported between 7 and 7:30 am each day, and appears right away on the map. Here's a link to the Maryland data map - click here - if you zoom in you can find us - near Dale drive, just to the left (west) of Rt 29 in Silver Spring. The data appears as a little circle - color coded by amount - so as long as it stays dry it will be a white circle. My station is MD-MG-114.
You might be interested in stations that are near you, and you can find them from the national map. The CoCoRAHS project provides many more data points than are available through official weather stations, and show more localized rainfall patterns. The data are used by the National Weather Service and other agencies and researchers.
5 comments:
What happens when you aren't there (aside from surely it raining)?
Is there a way too get daily data?
To get.
Should be daily data. And, last night we got rain - .98 inch. Almost filled the inner tube up. Kris, if you're gone for a while you report the aggregate total when you can.
Hey ... I asked what happens if you're gone! Me!
I guess what I meant to say is "Is there an easy way to download all of the daily values in a structured output file format?"
Post a Comment