After posting about The Graveyard Book, I found several more graphic novels to try out. I placed a hold on these at the library and didn't have to wait long - don't let the cat of the bag, because I don't want word that these books are awesome and only have to wait longer for my hold items. Smile.
Tonight, I finished Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi. It was amazing! I enjoyed the illustrations and story immensely. It is an autobiographic account growing up in Iran. I laughed out loud of the coming of age recounting; and shook my head in disbelief at the horror. As a Westerner, it was nice to have a glimpse into Iran's history to better understand the world we live in today.
There is film adaptation, and maybe an actual novel. But I'm more inclined to my enjoyment of this story in its graphic novel form. Which is quickly becoming my favorite form of medium - the best of both worlds, written word and visual representation.
Thursday, April 20, 2017
Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi
Posted by
Nicole Tromble
at
8:59 PM
Labels: book review
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Sounds fun and informative. I find it interesting that as a longtime reader you're making the shift to graphic novels which have never appealed to me. Maybe I'll have to give it another shot once I'm done with my exams.
I keep hearing that Persepolis is good but haven't tried it yet...I guess it's time. "Reading Lolita in Tehran" is a good nonfiction memoir that I recall as being heartbreakingly vivid on the transition from a secular culture to an officially religious one and what that met for women...Not sure who might like this, but I will mention "Understanding Comics" by Scott McCloud as an awesome book if you are interested in thinking about visual storytelling. And there is also a cool book that I will have to find so I can tell you the title in which exactly the same simple line story is told graphically in 99 different ways. To be continued...
Post a Comment