The next time you visit your local library, could you check and see if it carries Moment magazine. If so, could you photocopy the article on Joyce Carol Oates from the December 2004 issue and mail it to me? Their internet site only has part of the article on it, and I can't get it all here. I would be greatly appreciative and send anyone who can do this a special treat from France!
Thursday, January 6, 2005
Library Help
Posted by
Tanya
at
7:21 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
12 comments:
Anyone know where the OU library is?
OU has a library?
I thought it was a football school. .... but Tuesday night changed my mind on that :)
OUCH! Hmm, maybe that's OUch :)
Dad
Well, I think the whole bowl system is stupid . . . I've been saying it for years . . . why would you want to not play a game for 4-5 weeks, then play the biggest game of the year? It just doesn't make sense! There is a reason teams play "preseason" games . . . you are more likely to be a little off if you haven't competed in a while. Texas A&M had their two worst games of the year (against Utah very early in the year and against Tennessee in their bowl game) after long layoffs, and got blown out by Tennessee because they turned the ball over 4 times (they had 8 in the entire regular season). OU had 5 turnovers and never recovered from the Bradley fumble . . . shit happens. If they had played a month ago, I think OU would have won (which is why most of the experts were predicting that they'd win the game). I can see having one open weekend, but a whole month is ridiculous. If the college president's weren't so focused on the almighty dollar, they'd realize that a playoff right after the season would be the best, they could start football season earlier and finish before finals . . . or they'd have a 16 team playoff in late Dec. early Jan. (between finals and the start of classes - or into the 1st couple weeks, which don't matter anyway) where the top teams could get back into it with games against good (not great teams), then the final 4 and championship games would be great! Give out about 6 automatic bids to conference winners of the big conferences, bid to all undefeated teams, and then some at large bids. Let's see what I can come up with,
1. USC
16. Pittsburgh
8. Georgia
9. Va Tech
4. Texas
13. Miami
5. Cal
12. Iowa
2. OU
15. Ohio St.
7. Michigan
10. Boise St.
3. Auburn
14. Wisconsin
6. Utah
11. Louisville
I just pulled those teams off the top of my head, but you get the point . . . it would be a great 4 weeks and you'd have the best teams at the end, just like you usually do at the end of the college bball tourney - and keep in mind that bball is more susceptible to upsets than football.
So, that's what I have to say about that. OU currently has the #2 recruiting class for this next year, so the cupboard isn't going empty any time soon.
Do you even have a TV that gets the game? Did you watch it? Just wondering. It was the refs, not on major calls, but a few small misses they made that could have made a big difference, a non-call on a hold on Cody here, a non-call on illegal contact on Clayton on an interception there . . . it adds up. ; - )
I was so excited to see four comments. I thought somebody was going to say they could get the magazine article for me. And then it was all just football *rap. I'm so disappointed :(
Tanya -- we will try to get the article for you, never fear.
Evan -- no, I didn't watch the game. I was pretty shocked when I saw the headline Wednesday. I thought -- Evan is not going to be a happy camper.....
Dad
Tanya -- I have some bad news and some good news.
I called Moment magazine. They told me the local bookstore that sells it over the counter, but said they knew that they were all sold out of the current issue. Apparently the cover photo of JCO made it more popular than normal with the literary crowd.
I then went to my backup plan. Paula Evans, who works for me, is Jewish. I asked her if she was familiar with the magazine and she said "Oh, yes, I subscribe to it. It was a very interesting article -- I'll bring it in tomorrow." That was yesterday -- so I now have the issue in my hands, and will make a copy of the article for you tonight. (Oh, in case you're wondering -- that's the good news.)
Dad
Look at that, even with all the football crap, you're magazine request has been filled . . . possibly due to inspiration due to my football ramblings? Ok, probably not.
Yeah for Jewish co-workers!
What does her being Jewish have to do with anything?
Moment is a Jewish magazine. Probably not many non Jewish people subscribe so her being Jewish makes the chances of her having a subscription much much higher.
Oh . . . is JCO Jewish? Why was her article in Moment?
Post a Comment