Sunday, July 27, 2008

Excitement in Juneau






We woke up Saturday to sunshine, so I guess I was successful in packing a little bit. We stopped by Breeze In on the way to the glacier. Mike has decided we probably need to stop by Breeze In every day! (Imagine that ...) We also stopped by the parking lot at Brotherhood Bridge to get that view with the fireweed. Sylvia and Bill Dean were there, so we had a little chat with them. They appreciated the sunshine we brought. The morning light was great for taking pictures. There were a few salmon in Steep Creek but no bears. So we headed downtown, intending to go up the tram. But we spotted the eagles at Salmon Creek so stopped for some pictures (quite a few, actually), then went over to the hatchery and watched the chums in the fish ladder. Then went downtown and hiked up Perseverance Trail for a ways. It's a real mess because they're working on widening (and ultimately improving, I hope) the first part of the trail where it drops off. It currently has no railing on it, and the benches are gone for the time being, and it seemed much higher than what I remember (elevation gain). There is still quite a bit of snow up in the Basin and the berries are just beginning to ripen. Back at Terry's house, we were sitting at the table looking at the pictures I had taken. I looked out the window and there were two black bear cubs (year old, I think) raiding the neighbor's garbage can. So we tried to get some pictures. It was hard when they were behind the trailers, but I got a couple when they went up a tree. Terry, Mike and I met Uncle Kenny at the Salmon Bake for dinner. There were several squirrels that benefitted from dropped food. We stopped by the glacier again after dinner and there were still no bears, but we did see a porcupine up a tree (that we probably would have missed except there was a guy taking pictures of it). Oh, and I guess I didn't pack enough sunshine because it's raining again today!

1 comments:

mt San Francisco said...

Wow! What amazing pictures...at first I thought you must have gone to a zoo to get so many great animal shots...