Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Lascours to Alaska

We're in Juneau! Everybody is loving it. Monday we walked around downtown Juneau and had lunch at Bullwinkles with Angie, Nate, Hayden, Melora Gaber and Sadie (Angie's sister). There we ran into John Doogan, the Alters and Adam Orford's dad. After lunch we saw a black bear walking across Capitol Avenue near Grandma's old house. In the afternoon we hiked up Mt Roberts and took the tram down. We finished up with dinner a drink at Doc Waters and dinner at the Hangar with Melora so I got my halibut taco. While we were eating a young lady walked up to the table to say hi to Melora and it was Leah (Zach's girlfriend at our wedding). She no longer lives in Juneau but was just up visiting too! So we got a sort of mini France reunion photo!

Yesterday was the full day Tracy Arm cruise. Not much calving action at the glacier and too much ice to get up to South Sawyer, but everybody thought the glacier and icebergs were beautiful anyway and we got treated to a lot of wildlife views: a black bear climbing on the cliff, lots of whales, seals and eagles. Sylvain and I finished up the night with dinner at the Thai restaurant in Auke Bay with Angie's family and then some blueberry picking at Angie's house. She's having us over for a bbq on Thursday and she's going to make us a fresh blueberry pie!

Today we're getting a tour of DIPAC in the morning and then hiking out to the cabin at Peterson Lake in the afternoon to stay the night there. On the menu for dinner: dehydrated pasta and SMORES!!!

4 comments:

Rone' said...

Sounds good to me! I'm ready for my vacation. How's the weather?

Galen Tromble said...

I think it's going to rain for the next several days. I arrive Saturday afternoon and T is supposed to pick me up.

Galen

Unknown said...

For the uninitiated...DIPAC??? Daisies in Pasture Above Clouds? Dinner in Paris, Alaska Copy? Doughnuts Inner Peace Arouse Currently?

Galen Tromble said...

Douglas Island Pink and Chum (salmon - it's the salmon hatchery). But I liked your suggestions better.

Galen