Thursday, May 7, 2009

Bye-Bye Closet

Nicole, "Yesterday, I decided to stop thinking about house projects and begin tackling one. Removing the closet walls in the small front room on the second floor to build a loft-style platform bed. The hopes is to turn this yet-to-be-used-really-over-glorified-storage-room into Rachel's bedroom. With crowbar in hand, I was fascinated to discover that removing the plaster work is much like cracking an egg. It is a somewhat slow and very dusty process, but I managed to get most of the front removed. After taking a step back, I had a moment of panic, oh my GOD, what have I done??? Too late to turn back, I called a contractor to discuss what to do next. Armed with more information, I'm confident to get back to removing what remains of the closet. Perhaps I am a bit over-ambitious with my skills to take this on; but I'm looking forward to getting some more experience under my belt and to hopefully look on the finished work and beam with pride of having done it myself."

2 comments:

ET said...

Do you know if any of the supports are "load-bearing"? If not, no problem ... if so, you might consider leaving them in and designing around them.

mt San Francisco said...

Go girl!