Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Bel Canto by Ann Patchett

This month's reading group selection was Bel Canto.  Several of the woman have already read it, but loved it enough to want to read it again.  When I mentioned reading this book to other people, they too said they loved it.  I'm disappointed to say that I don't feel the same, so my experience reading it is a bit empty.

The novel is based on the Japanese embassy hostage crisis in Lima, Peru.  However, the book doesn't mention the exact location.  It takes place in a South American Vice President's home, where he is hosting the birthday party of a very powerful and influential Japanese business man (Mr. Hosokawa).  Many other powerful figures have been invited to include the world famous soprano, Roxanne Coss.

The one night festivity turns into a 4+ month hostage takeover.  It during this time the author focuses her audience to the development of her characters.  We learned about them intimately and see how Stockholm Syndrome changes their lives forever.

The bulk of the book was spent on the characters and the endless days of their captivity.  The pace is relatively slow, but the language wasn't too complex to keep the pages from turning.  I felt like the novel would have made a nice short story, but then perhaps, the characters would have been underdeveloped.

Perhaps, I would have enjoyed reading this if I had read it at a different time.  I have been caught up in the Millennium trilogy and waiting to get my hands on the last book.  The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest is what I would have rather been reading.

6 comments:

mt San Francisco said...

We just watched "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo"...still haven't read Hornet's Nest, I'm holding out for the paperback. The movie was too violent for Anwyl but I was okay with it...a reversal of the usual situation. In related developments, Masterpiece Theatre is running a series based on another Swedish mystery series, starring a detective named Kurt Wallander played by Kenneth Branagh. It's dark but the lead character is remarkably complex and therefore interesting.

Roy said...

Speaking of crime novels, Meredith, I wonder if you are familiar with the work of Jonathan Santlofer? I heard him tell a story on The Moth podcast recently. I guess he's a visual artist who now writes crime novels about the art world.

Tanya said...

You can't find Hornet's Nest in paperback? Strange. I have it in paperback and I ordered it in August. Must have been out earlier in Britain. Would you like me to send it to you?

Tanya said...

Jonathan Santlofer ... that name rings a bell ... Why? Hmmmm .... Oh, yeah. It just came to me. He co-edited a volume of crime short stories out this year that contains a piece by Oates! The collection is called "The Dark End of The Street: New Stories of Sex and Crime by Today's Top Authors."

mt San Francisco said...

I would LOVE to have Hornet's Nest and promise to pass it on to other interested family, if you have a chance to send it...and no, I hadn't heard of Jonathan Santlofer and since I am always surveying the mystery section and giving up because I'm not sure what I'd like I am very happy to have a new writer that I have a reason to try out...

Tanya said...

Meredith, I have packaged it up and will get it in the mail on Saturday.