Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Shake, Rattle and Roll

A meeting I'm running for 3 days with people from around the country was disrupted today by an earthquake. It didn't feel that strong to me -- some shaking that lasted for enough time that we watched and commented on windows shaking in the apartment building upper floors across the street - 20 or 30 seconds max, I'd guess. They eventually made us evacuate the building, then sent us home. I guess they have to inspect it, and we'll know tomorrow if we can go back to work -- my guess is yes, but we'll see. Anyway, no problems evident here. But at 5.9 it was quite a bit stronger than the 3.6 we had in 2010 that they said was the strongest on record in the area.

11 comments:

mt San Francisco said...

You are in D.C.? Or Juneau? Hope the earth under your feet got its ya-yas out...

Roy said...

I felt it in Pittsburgh, too. We evacuated our building for about an hour.

Galen Tromble said...

D.C.

ket said...

And there's a hurricane heading toward D.C. and I'm supposed to arrive there late Saturday. Can you tell everything to settle down while I'm there?

ET said...

C'mon Irene!

I'm not sure flying into the D.C. area late Saturday is the best idea, at this point.

I'm not sure there's much any of us can do to keep the hurricane from arriving. However, I did shoo a frog out of Janice's house last night, so that may have some impact.

ET said...

Do you have a work meeting in D.C.?

ket said...

Yes. I have a work conference in DC Mon-Wed & asked to go a day early to have a bit of time to adjust to the time change. (Which was possible because the feds bought the plane ticket. If the state was paying it'd be to much hassle to be worth it even though there's no extra cost.) Anyhow, it's looking like I might have been better off traveling Sunday & toughing out the time change. Then if the storm hits Saturday maybe they'd cancel the whole thing and I could stay snug at home rather than being stranded somewhere far away. On the other hand, if I'm stuck in Seattle maybe I could shop for (desperately needed) clothes.

Tanya said...

You "shooed a frog ..." and that might have an impact on the weather?

Tanya said...

Good luck, K. If anything, maybe you'll get a good blog post out of the upcoming adventure!

Galen Tromble said...

It looks like you'll arrive before Irene, so you can have the big bedroom and she'll have to stay outside. At least you'll have some furry friends for a couple of days.

ET said...

Butterfly effect!

Are you still planning to fly in late on Saturday?