Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Getting to know Seattle

Friday I left work early and we all rode the bus to Seattle Center. We went to the Children's Museum for the half hour before it closed, then walked over to Queen Anne Avenue, and had dinner at Roti, an Indian restaurant from which we got takeout a few weeks ago, which we enjoyed. (Their lamb saag is so good, Nicole thinks it's chicken.) Nicole doesn't usually like lamb.

We rode the bus because Nicole wanted to try it out, but was wary of trying to take all three kids by herself the first time. It was a good experience all around. Except for a brief shrieking bout, Colin was quiet in his car seat, and the girls sat and enjoyed the ride. Lydia was attentive enough to recognize the Space Needle among the list of attractions at our arriving bus stop, and alerted Nicole.

Upon entering the bus, the driver handed us transfer slips that are good for up to three hours, so our ride home was free. We waited for a while at the bus stop after dinner, waiting for a particular bus that never arrived, but ultimately realized that any of the buses would be fine. The one we wanted would have stopped just across the street from our building, but the others, which we eventually settled for, stop by the current location of Trader Joe's, which is just four or five blocks away.

Nicole's ORCA card arrived in the mail today, so she'll be able to ride the bus without worrying about correct change. Rachel needs to get one, too, but the process is more involved, because we have to prove her age, since she rides at half price. (Children under six ride free.)

I left work early because I had to pack up my desk by 3pm. We moved from the Parkview building, on 34th St, down to the Waterside building, along the canal. Monday morning, I went to my new office for the first time, and enjoyed the sunlight through the south-facing window and the view overlooking the canal. I've seen a number of large vessels pass through since then, including a Coast Guard ship, not sure what class.

The office is right next to the Fremont Bridge, which I cross on my way to and from work. With just 30 feet of clearance, the Fremont Bridge is the busiest drawbridge in the United States. It opens 35 times a day. And yet, I've only had to wait for it twice while commuting. What gives? I learned that although federal law mandates that marine traffic has the right of way, the city of Seattle has an exemption from the Coast Guard, so that the bridge is closed during rush hours. Works for me. Those who want to cross the bridge during open hours apparently suffer far more frequent waits.

Today I walked to work in the rain. This is notable because in the more than five weeks since we've been here, it was the first time it rained during my commute. Another thing I've learned about Seattle is that its notorious rainfall is very seasonal. The rainiest months are November through January, averaging more than five inches per month, while June through September average under two inches, and July and August less than one inch. Nicole ordered me a new raincoat a couple days back and it arrived today, so they dropped it off at my office while they were out and about. But by the time I walked home, the rain had stopped.

7 comments:

ET said...

Average annual rainfall:
Seattle - 36 in
Oklahoma City - 36 in
Juneau - 62 in

I found those values quickly on my phone this morning. It rains a lot in Juneau. Seattle? Pfffttt.

ET said...

Is that value correct for Seattle?

Roy said...

The stats I saw were around three inches for most months, so I'd say yes.

ET said...

That's why I always balk when people talk about it raining a lot on Seattle.

Roy said...

The reputation may come from clouds. This list is interesting. Oklahoma City may get the same total rainfall as Seattle, but it has significantly more average annual sunshine. Note that Pittsburgh is very close to Seattle, in the mid-40s% range, and Juneau is dead last at 30%.

ET said...

Sure enough.

Rachel said...

daddy can the day be better