Sunday, July 20, 2014

Whirlwind Day

Yesterday was a whirlwind day. This morning, I woke up feeling like I'd been plummeted around for a day by whirling forces and my kitchen looked like it had been hit by a windstorm: plates, cups, crumbs, sticky drops of popsicle juice, pizza boxes, olive pitts, wrapping paper, plastic bags, toys, swimming paraphernalea were strewn all over the upstairs. Some friends (Philippe, Sylvie and daughter, Jana, Boyer) had come to visit for a late morning swim and lunch and I didn't have time to clean up as I took Laureva to Urgent Care and then we left immediately for another pool party afternoon/evening when we got back (at Sandrine, Greg, Tom and Jade DeMenech's house).
The madness began at 4am. Laureva was feverish when she woke up to nurse. We kept an eye on her temperature all morning, but the Tylenol wasn't making it go away, and as Maëva had had what the doctor had called "highly contagious" strep this week, I finally decided to take Laureva in for a checkup. Sure enough, the doctor said her throat was red and that it's most likely the same virus Maëva had. He told me her throat was "a little bit red," but in light of the treatment he prescribed, which includes an anti-inflammatory and a sore throat syrup both used sparingly in young infants, he must have felt it was worse/more painful for her than he let on. (Update: She's doing okay. She has been sleeping a lot. Her fever is letting up.)
At the evening barbecue, the adults sat around chatting, drinking, eating while the kids swam in the pool, jumped on the trampoline, danced and got themselves messy with chocolate ice cream bars. Maëva sat at the table with the five other kids of various ages who were present to eat pasta salad for dinner. She seems to eat better when having a meal with other kids who are eating (Jana had had the same effect on her at lunch). Fun seemed to be had by all.
A fun day in spite of the fact that I wasn't feeling much in control. And now the kitchen is cleaned up, the house is almost back in order and I'm feeling much more relaxed. Sylvain is in Marseille today playing "jeu provençal" in the big annual July tournament and it's a bit of a stormy day here in Lascours, so I'm in for a mellow day at home with the girls (and possibly a Tromble hangout?).

2 comments:

Galen Tromble said...

Tanya - I guess I should have started a hangout when we got done with brunch - I checked and there wasn't an invite to one, so we took off and went to Petsmart.

ET said...

We were in one. I blame Google.