Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Bordeaux

Thursday to Saturday, I was at a conference in Bordeaux called "Minor Voices?" about major authors who also write for children/young adults. I was happy to discover Bordeaux for the first time. It's not that easily accessible from Marseille by train, so I flew, getting up at some ungodly hour to make my flight because there are only two flights a day. It was a small conference with only twelve speakers, but I enjoyed seeing colleagues, discovering the beautiful city and savouring the local cinnamon rum cakes called cannelés. Delicious! And of course, they're only really good when you get them IN Bordeaux! Sylvain likes them, too, so I asked a colleague where to go for the best ones. La Toque Cuivrée which means "the copper chef's hat." Cannelés are made in copper molds. I brought some back for us and for Marie-Elisabeth and David. Everyone agrees that they really are better when they come from the source. The good news is that the box indicates that La Toque Cuivrée will be opening a boutique soon in Marseille! Another thing to look forward to on your next visit . . . Maëva likes the tops, but not the more caramelized bottoms. I tell her not to worry and enjoy finishing up her leftovers!

2 comments:

ket said...

Cinnamon rum cakes sound delicious! I'm in for helping next time I visit.

Tanya said...

It's a date!