We had Grandma's piano tuned yesterday evening. The tuner had it opened up, so I got a look at the serial number. Does anyone know when it's from?
He said it was in pretty good condition. There were a few loose screws and one of the hammers had come unglued, but nothing too problematic. He thought it probably hadn't been tuned since 1994, and that it would probably need to be done again soon if we wanted it to stay in tune, because of that. Many of the pins were very tight. It took two and a half hours to do, because he had to tune it in two stages.
I only played it for a few minutes this evening, so I don't have a good assessment of the quality difference yet, but it sounded much improved last night. Of course, there is a significant difference between the bumbling that I do and what the tuner was playing.
Tuesday, January 5, 2010
Grandma's Piano
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I remember mom buying the piano when they lived in Clay Center--so sometime in the 1980-1983 range. It's not the one we had at home growing up.
I assume it was new when Mom bought it, but I don't know for sure.
Keep up the playing. I'm working on a simple Bach prelude at the moment.
Post a Comment