I received a summons for jury duty a few months ago. Yesterday was my report date. I was in Allegheny County civil court. I could tell a very long story about it, but suffice it to say that I sat around most of the day not doing much except reading my latest sci-fi selection, and then was surprised at the end of the day to be included on a jury for a trial starting today. Surprised, because I thought that the attorneys had disliked my answers to the juror interview questions. But apparently they liked the others even less.
The trial was supposed to take two days, but we ended up finishing it in one, thank goodness! It was a pain and suffering damages case resulting from an auto accident in which negligence was not disputed. All of the jurors seemed pretty sensible, and it didn't take us long to come to consensus once given the opportunity.
The good news is, the other trials they were selecting jurors for today were projected to take 10 and 13 days, respectively. I lucked out.
Thursday, January 14, 2010
Jury Duty
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
So, since you served on a jury, are you done with your obligation this time around? That would be the case in Alaska, but it's done differently elsewhere. I'm just curious ....
The judge told us we would be free of obligation for some period of time, but he couldn't remember if it was one year, or two, or three.
Post a Comment