The latest facebook status update from Kenny is that it is snowing in Yamanashi. This on top of more Lascours snow (reported by Sylvain) and the record snow here in OK before Christmas (the back deck is still covered). But, fortunately, things are back above freezing in Oklahoma! The high today was a balmy 57 degrees, which made running with the dogs a whole lot more enjoyable than the last time. And, highs are scheduled for the high 40's and low 50's for the foreseeable future.
I mention the weather in part so I can report this weather-related story. Sunday, on the way to church, we were driving south on Porter towards Robinson, where we would subsequently turn west. As we approached the IGA (on the west side of the road), a car pulled out of the Cleveland County Fairgrounds (on the east side of the road) and headed south. But, rather than actually head south, the car stopped in the west-most lane. Why'd they stop? I was asking myself the same thing, actually.
As I got closer to the stopped car, which was blocking my path, I noticed a couple things. First, I saw that it did not appear that any of the windows of the SUV had been scraped. Normally, around Norman, that isn't a big deal ... nor is it something you would notice. Sunday morning, if your car was parked outside overnight, you probably wanted to scrape the ice off the windows before driving. Apparently, the people in charge of that car didn't realize that.
And, that is a perfect segue to the second thing I noticed. The stopped car had Florida plates. Apparently, they aren't used to this ice on the windows thing. The next thing that happened was a lady got out of the passenger side of the car. Then, almost inexplicably, the car lurched forward and ran into the curb, almost taking the lady out. Soon, the lady had her hands on an ice scraper ... don't worry, the husband stayed in the driver's seat so as not to have someone steal the car and drive away quickly. At this point, we lost them in the rearview mirror, which was helping me keep track of happenings to the north ... then, they were gone when we started down Robinson to the west.
P.S. I hope you enjoyed the midwestern flair I added to the story.
Monday, January 11, 2010
Wacky Weather
Posted by
ET
at
9:49 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
You forgot to mention it was an elderly couple that looked like they might be in their seventies, though I don't know if that really makes a difference. However, with that much lived experience behind them, you would expect them to have heard about the phenomenon of ice on windshields and the need to scrape before driving even if they had never actually experienced it themselves.
Post a Comment