Friday, July 9, 2010

What's up?

I heard on the intro to the news this morning that there is "rioting in Oakland." What's up with that? How about something from the on-site reporter?

3 comments:

ET said...

Not a harsh enough sentence for a white police officer who shot (and killed) an unarmed black man ... at least according to cnn.com.

I'm guessing Meredith didn't have an eyewitness account of this for two reasons:

(1) I doubt the were rioting on her streets AND

(2) she's not in CA currently, she's visiting g'pa

Galen Tromble said...

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-20010109-504083.html

mt San Francisco said...

Evan's guess was correct. Such a sad story. As far as I could tell, the officer was an individual overwhelmed with distress at having killed a man unintentionally (using his gun instead of his Taser) and stunned by the disastrous and instantaneous change it made in his life. A number of people interpreted his behavior as uncaring, and accused him of racial hatred. I was sickened by hearing someone on the radio saying "They haven't got the smoking gun of him saying I'm going to get me a n****" ...using their imagination of something that didn't exist, and that no one ever thought existed, to stir up listeners' fears of persecution. Apparently most of the people arrested during the riot were "out of towners" although who knows what that means -- they could be from Berkeley. It does seem to be the case that the verdict became an excuse for some people to break windows and loot stores. Human folly all around.