I guess I did have a small story to relate, which is that Sunday I went to a special dinner for a painter named Hung Liu. As a very young woman, her career as a "social realist" painter in China was detoured by the Cultural Revolution, which she barely survived. After that, she somehow made her way to San Diego where she studied contemporary Western art and then joined the faculty at Mills, which is where I met her when I was in graduate school. I was her first TA. All her TAs throughout the years were invited to this dinner and about fifteen of us were able to show up -- it was a heart-warming time of stories & laughing, very fun to meet the other TAs up to and including her last one. We made her a scroll where everybody added a drawing or a poem and generally had a high old time. And, in the big picture, kind of nice to see one teacher's impact on so many people, we of course were just a small representative sample of the whole. That's her in the middle with the colorful neckline, and her husband, an art critic who I edited when I was at Artweek, on the far right. Long history with both of them...
Tuesday, August 19, 2014
PS
Posted by
mt San Francisco
at
7:47 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comments:
Very nice.
Post a Comment