I don't know where this particular personality trait comes from, but I like to plan, and I like themes, and traditions, and well, you get the point.
8 years ago, I thought it would be great to skip the customary baby book in lieu of an annual Shutterfly photobook. This hobby seemed right up my alley, lots of time on the computer, organizing photos and stories, and Christmas wrapping one up for each grandparent each year. Perfect! One book became two, became three, became four, and finally became five (I also make a family chronicle for each years to capture more than just what is happening with the kids).
Side-note: I started the family chronicle one when Roy and I were discussing guardianship of the kids if something happened to us (oh and by the way, we have made arrangements with our friends Karen and Noah incase something happens). These books were to be some sort of how-to of our family life: what we think is important (lots of Roy making pizza and bread, focus on holidays like Christmas Eve PJs.). Also, Roy started looking into family histories and I realized how little I know about mine, so hoped to use the books as a jumping point for my future relatives.
Okay, so now that is 5 Shutterfly photobooks and I also have yearly portraits to arrange. Again, I tried to improve the whole update annual photo displayed in a frame custom; make it a shadowbox frame sort of like a scrapbook page, but mounted on the wall. I realized that 18 of these per kid was ridiculous so decided to do years 1-5 instead.

Besides committing to 72 frames to create, there just isn't enough wall space. Why 5? Well, that is when the kids start school, so we can get the school picture done instead and Roy's work desk at work can have an updated photo which I have already scanned for that kid's Shutterfly photobook. Ha!
But it doesn't end there... I also really like to get wrapped up in making Halloween costumes. Here is a list of Rachel's: black cat, fairy, devil, Ms. Peacock, totem wolf, pirate, mermaid, and this year an angel; Lydia: mad scientist, Ms. Scarlet, totem frog, flamingo, cave girl, and this year a snow leopard; Colin: totem orca, devil, flying unicorn, and this is undecided something like a butterfly or cheetah ?; Eric: didn't have a costume last year, but if I had enough time I would have done something along the lines of a shrunken head (he looked like this when wrapped in the Moby carrier), this year is undecided. I thought I wanted to do the characters from Room on a Broom, but not really motivated and Rachel has her heart set on being an angel (not a character). On top of this, I'm thinking of converting our garage into a haunted house (think black plastic wrap separating the space into a u-shape path, and placing random things like a hand on a grill... not sure how far to take it...).
Then there is organizing the Christmas PJs. Last year I decided to embrace a theme: penguins. And in addition to their pajamas, the kids would get an ornament that matched to add to the tree (also to start their own ornament collection - because I think they will want these as adults?!). This year is it moose.
Holidays are extra packed with an October, November, December and January birthday. I have to also think about St. Nikolas and various gifts to arrange. Shhh, don't let the cat of the bag.
What else? Oh, Schultuettes. It is tradition in Germany to give Kindergarteners a school cone filled with candy and school supplies on their first day of school. These cones are usually bigger than the kids receiving them. I modified this custom to give the kids one each year on the first day of school; however, mine are only 18" long. This year, we decided to skip many little things for one big item (theater tickets). Rachel is going to see Broadway Little Mermaid; Lydia got to see the Wild Kratts Live; and tonight Colin was treated to The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe.

Some things that are for the greater whole: Easter Bunny puzzle rather than individual baskets; we don't give the kids a birthday gift instead the party is their gift; Christmas: Roy and I give them each their own keepsake book.
Okay, so now the reason why I'm posting... birthdays! Tomorrow Eric turns 1!!!! He is my baby and is already 1! Everything about him is my last: last umbilical cord, last first crawl, last first tooth, you get the point. It is SOOOO bitter-sweet. Tomorrow, we are celebrating Eric's 1st birthday. I spent some time trying to figure out what kind of party I wanted to organize. Some ideas that didn't make the cut are: balloons, music, red wagon (thank you Pinterest for not letting me sleep when the baby sleeps!). I decided to recycle a tried but true, UNO theme (Rachel's 1st birthday). We are having friends over for a fiesta (make your own nachos, homemade for the first time horchata, Agua de Tamarindo, Caramel Apple Sangria, and Pumpkin Churro Cake). I spent the better part of three days trying to find the right decorations. With much failed ideas, I realized, duh, Mexican grocery stores. I now have Mexican paper banners hanging in the kitchen and dining room (also Rone's birthday banner).


So... I have 4 kids. And this year, two weeks ago, I started down the path of planning a 1 year, 6 year old, and 4 year old birthday party. Locations: Eric-home, Lydia-Community Center, Colin-library; Themes: Eric-UNO, Lydia-Pokemon, Colin-Star Wars. With all this birthday talk, Rachel has been starting on what to do for her's (JUNE!!!!). Ek.
Oh and I'm behind on Lydia's 5th year and Colin's 3rd year shadowbox frames. But will soon add Colin's 4th year, Eric's 1st year shadowbox frames; Rachel's 8th year, Lydia's 5th year, Colin's 3rd year, Eric's 1st year, and 2016 Tromble Chronicles to my list of things to do.
Yes, I could just decide enough is enough.... but what fun would that be?
Friday, October 14, 2016
My full-time job
Posted by
Nicole Tromble
at
12:06 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Gee, are you busy enough? :)
I just finished Lydia's 5th year, and Colin's 3rd year frames. Trying to get motivated for Colin's 4th frame and Eric's 1st. If you were wondering why I'm commenting on year old posts, I'm working on Eric's 1st Chapter Shutterfly book.
Post a Comment