Last night my dad and I started to make the tapioca pearls for bubble tea. Tapioca starch mixed with water doesn't make a very good and easy to work with consistency. We tried rolling little pieces into logs, but it just kept crumbling. We added more water, more tapioca flour, but it still didn't work. My dad gave up because he was so frustrated with it, but I kept trying. Eventually, I made about thirty big tapioca balls. I cooked them in boiling water, and set them in a container with water and sugar. Then we put them in the fridge overnight.
This is just a video I took because I was so amazed with how it could look like a liquid, but then be super sticky and putty-like.
Tapioca pearls boiling. They got really big at this stage and were supposed to shrink back to normal. That wasn't quite how it worked for us.
Tapioca pearls after boiling.
This afternoon, I heated up some hot water to make tea. I put them in the big glass cups we have, and let them steep for a few minutes. I added some heavy whipping cream and sugar to a bowl and mixed it. The recipe told me to use a handheld milk frother, which we don't have. I added the boba and cream to the tea and then we had it after lunch.
The boba were half rubbery half soft and chewy. Not very good. The tea and cream was good, though!
This is very satisfying (in my opinion).





2 comments:
Is there food coloring in the starch and water mixture?
Yes. The recipe I used told me to put half of the water in the starch (1 tablespoon), and the other in a separate bowl that has black food color in it. We didn't have black food color, so I used my icing colors instead (which had black).
Post a Comment