Wednesday, April 8, 2020

Overlook Emergency Skill Set

Over the years, I have read a few things about being prepared for the unexpected.  Most of the advice is the same, have a BOB (Bug-Out Bag) and various supplies depending on which emergency you are preparing for.  I read something on FB or seen a sticker somewhere, that said "I was preparing for Zombies, not this shit." It cracked me up. 


Another tip for preparing was to learn skills now so that you aren't learning while living the emergency.  The focus was on skills like basic first aid/field medicine, gardening, foraging, fishing/hunting, small mechanics, etc.  However, nowhere was it mentioned the need to know how to teach - which is exactly what most of the people in our circles are stressing about the most.  Perhaps, not being anxious about being adequately trained to teach my kids is a big part of why we are feeling okay with sheltering-in and homeschooling for the next 3 months.  Didn't realize that I was actually preparing for emergency homeschooling with teaching knowledge and school supplies to fully engage with 4 sets of distance learning curriculums (computers for everyone, printer, paper, ink, art supplies, microscope, etc...), and it was serendipitous that we finished the guest room just in time to become Roy's work from home office.  

I think it is important to use this time to think about what other things should be considered (Roy and I just bought a bidet), because I don't think we are going back to normal any time soon.  Even when (if) things go back to normal, at least for me, it isn't hard to imagine going through this all over again, and again, and again.

2 comments:

mt San Francisco said...

That's a great point, it makes sense that being an experienced teacher would make a big difference.

Tanya said...

Having smart, well-balanced children also helps.