Thursday, September 1, 2022

Living up

I forgot to report that we brokered a deal by which both kittens' names were finalized: Rookie and Raven, though the latter gets a middle name of Gabrielle as a concession to Rachel. Then last night, after my post, Lydia discovered that Rookie had a tapeworm infection by finding the dried out remnants, which look like sesame seeds, on her bed. It took longer than expected to get to bed, and then we put Rookie in our bathroom so he wouldn't sleep in a bed, and he was not very happy to be separated from his family.


I woke up early Thursday morning on the couch in the basement, as a result. Rookie stayed in the bathroom, I think, until his previously arranged vet appointment in the afternoon. Now he's been given a treatment for the tapeworm, and we've learned more about their life cycle (it requires fleas as an alternate host, and we don't seem to have any), so he's back with the other cats, but they'll sleep outside our bedrooms until we're more confident that this bout has ended. Rookie already looks slimmer, less bloated in the belly.

Rachel and Lydia both had events at their new schools this evening: an open house at Lincoln High and an ice cream social at Hamilton. Nicole took them while I fed the boys at home, watched some tennis, and chatted with Evan. After the girls came home, I walked to Ken's with Rachel to restock cat food. The kittens would have been disappointed come morning, otherwise.

It was a pleasant evening after a hot afternoon, which followed a chilly morning. Walking to work, it felt like mist in the air, and the cloud cover was heavy. When I got to the Fremont bridge, the operator was trying to open the drawbridge for a sailboat, but there was a man on the pedestrian path who seemed confused and kept walking back and forth instead of leaving the bridge. It seemed like a long wait at the time, but I'd guess it was less than five minutes delay.

When I came home from work, Lydia showed me this. Raven found it in the boys' closet, and Lydia said she was sleeping there.

This morning she was perched like a raven on Lydia's shoulder.

6 comments:

Rone' said...

Reminds me of another black kitten that liked shoulders.

Tanya said...

I assume you mean Midnight, but I don't recall that about her. I don't have many memories of her as a kitten, actually.

Roy said...

It could also mean Gibson. We have photos of him on shoulders, but it wasn't something he ever took to. He much preferred to sit on top of the recliner and lick my hair.

Rone' said...

Midnight used climb up my jeans to get to the top. She would also ride around draped around my neck when she got a bit older.

Tanya said...

Ahhhh. Cute. Now I vaguely recall the climbing part.

Anonymous said...

Lydia and Raven go well together!