Wednesday, August 2, 2023

Chasing Sight

Over the past year or so, I've started having some trouble with my eyes. At first, it was just with tiny print in low light in the morning and evening. Then, since late spring/early summer, I haven't been able to read very easily in the evenings. The print just swims before my eyes and I have difficulty focusing on it, if I manage at all.

Eye doctor appointments are becoming more precious than gold around here (along with dermatologist appointments). However, I got lucky and managed to get an appointment with Laureva's eye doctor when I took her in for a checkup in May. She's leaving the practice in Aubagne, but had just decided to stay a week longer than originally planned, so she had a week's worth of appointments that had just opened up and she offered me one. I was fortuitously in the right place at the right time! Otherwise, the secretary had told me there were no appointments available until January.

My appointment was for August 1st. Dr. Caille examined me and declared I have no other problem than I'm over forty now and have started developing a bit of inevitable farsightedness. She gave me a prescription for glasses and told me to wear them no more than necessary for now, so as to help slow future degeneration. In the afternoon, I went down to the optician in Roquevaire and ordered my lenses in a pair of large blue and brown "cat's-eye" frames. I'm looking forward to picking them up on Saturday and being able to read more pleasurably again in the evenings.

2 comments:

Galen Tromble said...

I'm noticing something like this too. Usually a little more light is enough, but it's possible I may outlive my ability to go without glasses.

mt San Francisco said...

Looking forward to seeing a pic of your stylish glasses!