Sunday, October 19, 2025

Klickitat Trail 5K

On Saturday, Pam and I ran the 5K race that went along with the Klickitat Trail Half Marathon. Her personal trainer, Heather, and husband ran the half. 

The 5K was a pretty low key event. Some families, a person or two with a dog, adults of various ages, and a bunch of middle and high school cross country runners. The trail, an old railroad grade along the Klickitat River, isn't hilly, but most of the run was on packed dirt and rocks, sometimes topped with leaves, pine needles, and acorns. Footing was not the best, so our times were a bit slower than our last road 5K. 

I did my usual tactic of going out a little slow and building into what feels like a sustainable effort, then picking off the folks who charge out at an unsustainable pace. About halfway through, I caught a group of 5 or 6 cross country kids (middle school I think) and passed them, and I gradually worked my way up, finishing 6th overall and 2nd among people who are over 15 years old. One of the middle schoolers came back and nipped me at the end, but no one else passed me (somewhat to my surprise). 

Pam ran her usual steady race and looked plenty fresh as she picked it up for the final yards, when the race photographer caught a very nice picture of her. 


After the race, we went across the street to the community center where there were a bunch of homemade soup options, cornbread, cookies, and other refreshments to eat. We both enjoyed a chili with chicken and white beans that Heather, had told her would be good, based on previous years' events. 


3 comments:

Lucas.T said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
mt San Francisco said...

Kudos to both of you! That is a great picture of Pam. I can’t imagine looking that fresh at the end of a long run.

Lucas.T said...

Ya.