Wednesday, October 29, 2025

Soiled in Syracuse

Yesterday, I traveled from Marseille to Syracuse via London and New York. Unfortunately, though I know my bags made it to JFK as I had to collect them after clearing immigration and then put them back on the luggage belt, the baggage handlers decided not to put them on the plane with me. I had a three-and-a-half-hour layover, so time shouldn't have been a problem. Maybe it was staff shortages; the security line was the slowest I've seen in as long as I can recall.

I got into Syracuse at 11:30pm. Too late to do any shopping. The baggage claim lady gave me some toiletry kits with toothpaste, toothbrush, deodorant, hairbrush, etc. This morning, I washed my undies in the sink, blew them dry, and put perfume in the underarm area of my top. Et voilà, I was good enough to sit in the library all day reading. 

It's been nearly 24 hours and still no luggage. Luckily, I found some underwear and socks at a CVS on my walk back to the hotel this evening. Still no top to change into, though, as I didn't really want to buy a Syracuse University t-shirt and I didn't see any other possibilities. I just discovered that a previous guest left a flannel button-up top in my room, but unfortunately it's a small so I don't think it'll fit. I guess my bags should be on the late flight tonight and then delivered sometime tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

7 comments:

Galen Tromble said...

Hope your bags arrived!

Tanya said...

Bags were delivered Thursday morning while I was at the library. The hotel staff kindly took them up to my room for me.

Tanya said...

I ended up wearing the left-behind flannel shirt on Thursday, after all. It fit well enough and was much comfier and better smelling than the top I'd already been wearing and sleeping in for 48+ hours.

mt San Francisco said...

What a funny gift from chance! Not looking forward to going through customs myself but at least we will have a direct flight. Loving your tales of persevering through hardship to research!

Tanya said...

Sometimes I perversely welcome tiny difficulties such as this as a chance to show myself how flexible and creative I can be.

Lucas.T said...

Syracuse new york? What are you there for?

Tanya said...

Orange is my favorite color. Where else would I go? Actually, work. Syracuse University is home to the Joyce Carol Oates Papers so this is the main place for me to go to do research.